Please Read - you will lift an eye brow

ridinfast03

Apr 24, 2008
Indiana
www.317motosports.com
Some of you will be able to read between the lines and see what this is...

CPSIA Set To Wipe Out Entire
Youth Power Sports Market

February 10th 2009 the power sports industry is set to receive its worst blow since the Consent Decree of the 1980s. The CPSIA, “Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act” contains a multitude of new regulations pertaining to a number of products including one particularly important section dealing with the use of lead and phthalates in children’s toys.

Lead is used as an additive in some paints, battery terminals, cable and many other products. Phthalates are used in plastic and other materials to make them more flexible or pliable. Phthalates are used in plastic and other materials to make them more flexible and have been linked to birth defects and childhood developmental issues. However, both chemicals are only harmful if injested.

As of February 10, 2009 the CPSIA will ban the manufacturing or selling of “any” products designed and or sold for use by children under twelve years of age. These products cannot use any components containing more then 600 parts per million of lead or 100 parts per million of phthalates. With the common use of these products in the power sports industry, manufacturers and dealers will by law, no longer be allowed to sell any ATVs and dirt bikes designed and marketed for children under twelve.

Besides lead and phthalates, other parts of the CPSIA deal with new safety guidelines for children’s ATVs. The new guidelines do away with the old displacement regulations for specific age groups. The new regulations set limits for top speed and various design features such as brakes, labeling, and flag pole mounts. The new safety guidelines take effect April 14, 2009.

Last year, manufacturers were asked to submit action plans on how they were going to deal with the lead, phthalates and new safety guidelines. It is our understanding that some of the major manufacturers are already compliant with all of these new regulations, but have not received approval from the CPSC on their action plans. Without approval on their action plans, manufacturers cannot continue to sell their youth models after the February 10 deadline whether they are compliant or not.

According to Lou Decuzzi President of DRR ATVs, a manufacturer of youth ATVs “The true intention of the CPSC is to eliminate sales of unsafe motor vehicles and manufacturers who haven’t complied with CPSC standards. The only problem is, they seem too overwhelmed with action plans and aren’t responding to manufacturers by the deadline they set forth. We are confident they will work through these issues”.

Other manufacturers such as Apex ATV were less optimistic. Teri Beckman from APEX said. “If this ban is not repealed, we can kiss our 10 years of research/development, hard work, marketing and racing goodbye. Not including all the money we put into the business. We will not have a business after Feb 10th, one stupid government bill to “protect us” will wipe out quite a few companies and jobs…..including ours! What the ______!”.

Glen Hansen, Communications Director for American Suzuki offered this statement, “We are 1) working with Suzuki dealers nationwide to make sure they completely understand the implications of this new legislation and how it will impact their business, and 2) we are working with Suzuki Motor Corporation in Japan as it undergoes testing and certification for the new lead-content requirements. We are also encouraging all Suzuki dealers to contact the elected officials who represent them in order to communicate the hardship this new law places on their business in this already difficult economy.”

Scott Wolfson, from the CPSC office of public affairs helped explain the new product standards to us and was eager to state the CPSC’s feelings on youth ATV models, “It is critically important to the CPSC that there be youth ATV models in the market place because we are an agency that has investigated far too many tragic deaths involving young riders who jumped on adult sized ATVs instead of ATVs appropriate for their size and capabilities.” We feel the CPSIA act has some good guidelines which will eliminate many of the unsafe off brand models being imported, but if something isn’t done fast this act is set to strike a serious blow to our industry and dozens of others.

Please help stop this tragedy before it is too late, contact your local congressman and tell them your thoughts on the CPSIA and its effect on the power sports industry.

so if im getting this right, this new regulation will effect the making of pw50's, pocket bikes, pocket quads, mini bikes, maybe 85cc's and anything with a motor designed for little kids?

what a joke. can they just leave us alone with out quads and if we deside were going to ride and get hurt, thats our own fault?

unless they come up with new replacement chemicals, which is a possability, but not by feb 10th.

what a joke. can they just leave us alone with out quads and if we deside were going to ride and get hurt, thats our own fault?

i agree its bs that their takeing them away but you say it your fault if you do something an get hurt and i agree with that also take responsibiliteies for your actions but some people are looking for a reason to blame someone else for their stupidity people say things like its the companys fault that i broke my neck on my kids 50 going 80mph down hill an i hit a parked car because the brakes were faulty when the person shouldnt have expected the brakes to stop it with a grown adult on it or they blame the company because their kid isnt smart enough to ride yet an he busts his ass
im just saying you have to think about all the greedy stupid people out their trying to find a way to get something for nothing

So let me get this right, its only harmful if they chew on the battery terminal or eat the plastic? I don't see the problem here. If your kid is dumb enough to eat a battery terminal or a fender then you have bigger problems than the chemicals in the plastic and a bit of lead poisoning!

So let me get this right, its only harmful if they chew on the battery terminal or eat the plastic? I don't see the problem here. If your kid is dumb enough to eat a battery terminal or a fender then you have bigger problems than the chemicals in the plastic and a bit of lead poisoning!

hahaha dude i didnt even read that. send that in an email to these douchebags trying to pass this law or whatever they call it.

no Spanky, your attacking Liberals (me), i see u must of been to smart for your reading and writing classes in school too huhh?

We all know the liberals are the ones that think everything is bad and everything is dangerous and no one should do anything cause they might get hurt.

Im done with this thread. And no, I wont come back like weak minded liberals.

Liberals at work.

What a joke you are. Blame everything on someone else. The truth to all of this is that wimpy parents/citizens do not want to take responsibility for their actions. Bullshit lawsuits have run rampid across this land and people have been stuffing their pockets with cash for the last 20 years and you are no different. Blame all the problems on someone other than yourself, those that don't have the same beliefs as you.

This country is a joke to the rest of the world and if you don't believe it then you need to take a trip outside of it and view it from that side. The news is not biased in other countries. We have lost the respect that the entire world had for us after the two World Wars. Their hasn't been a war or a conflict or an invasion such as Iraq that has had an accomplished ending since WW2.

If you want to put a stop to all of this regulation and foolishness, then set an example. Pointing your finger at others and complaining will only add fuel to the fire.

This same thing is happening to the Clothing industry, where every garmet produced for youth sizes is going to have to pass inspection for lead and other chemicals used that may lead to autism. Before it used to be ok for a company to only test random materials used to make tshirts and sweatshirts, etc.. but now supposedly this new law or ordinance requires each individual garmet. Some of the different clothing companies are estimating an added expense of almost 250 thousand dollars to accomodate the testing expense.

Where I work, we have three XRF Lead testing guns that are about 20 grand a peice than they are the cheapest available. And the testing isn't very quick as it does take time to get full accurate results per test.

quit the political BS, liberals, conservatives, NDP, bloc quebeqios, who cares? lmao

*yes i know they arent the parties your talking about