Please help, can't start after rebuild!!!

TJsBlaster

Mar 14, 2008
I'm hoping you guys can help with this. I just rebuilt an '89 blaster with the following work:

Ported by Kennedy with head rework
Piston and rings
35mm Airstriker carb
VForce 3 reeds
Vitos adjustable timing plate
New clutch
Shearer full exhaust

Here is the problem:

After getting it all back together we tried to start it and it wouldn't. So I started with the basics and checked to make sure we had spark. That seemed good. The plug smells like fuel and is slightly wet if I rub it in my fingers when I pull it. I checked the compression and we read about 120 psi after four or five kicks with the throttle wide open. So I think we have spark, fuel and compression. It seems like it is flooded so we tried to start it with the fuel off, still no good. I changed the timing from the +4 degree setting back to about 0 degree just in case the advance was too far. Still no good. We even tried to push start it by pulling it behind a tractor for a short distance and it still never even tried to kick over. I'm thinking maybe something with the timing, but it looks like I put it all back together correctly. If any of you can offer any advice I would greatly appreciate the help. I keep thinking (hoping) it is something simple. I just can't get it to try to start.
I just used the stock jetting that came in the Airstriker 35 mm carb. Could the idle jet let too much fuel in to the point where it gets flooded every time I try to start it?
I hope somebody has some great idea to try.
Thanks for any help!!!:(:(:(

You need to open up that carb and see what size jets are in there. If you have good compression and your getting spark and the plug is wet it should fire unless it's just massively overfueled (wet plug). That's a pretty big carb to begin with for a small bore motor, so your jetting is going to have to be spot on. If I remember right your needle should be somewhere in the range of EEK or close, pilot should be around 45-52 range and main should be 150-160. You really need to see what's in there first.

Thanks bro we will take a look and if anybody has the best jetting for our set up on the 35mm airstriker please post ! Would adjusting the air fuel screw help get this thing started? Thanks again and if anyone has any other suggestions fire away !!!

Feel free to pm us well be outside working on the quad all day and if you private message us ill get it on my phone thanx for any future help!

The 35 airstryker won't have any tors to worry about, but if you didn't splice the wire from your old tors assembly up at the throttle you may have a problem.

Thanks bro we will take a look and if anybody has the best jetting for our set up on the 35mm airstriker please post ! Would adjusting the air fuel screw help get this thing started? Thanks again and if anyone has any other suggestions fire away !!!

Set the air screw at 1 and half from all the way in and try it.How did your reeds look?Try a 50 pilot and see what happens and try a new plug with fresh gas.Also you say it has the adjustable timing plate,did you just get this also?If so there could be a wiring issue.

rickstricks - Thanks... what did you mean about the splicing at the throttle for the tors removal. I removed the tors with this rebuild because of the new carb. All I did was follow a "how to remove your TORS" article that was posted here. I basically just remove all the wires and the TORS assembly. Now there is an open wire connector (looks like an automotive wiring harness cap) up at the front end and one at the carb location. Tell me what you think I need to do with the "splicing" thing.

Bundyho1 - the timing plate was added at the same time as the rest of this rebuild. I triple checked the wire harness and all the wire colors match up. I don't think it is possible to put the timing plate in wrong and the rotor has a keyway that makes the rotor alignment pretty much a go or no-go install. maybe there is something I missed on the timing. It seems like maybe I'm getting the spark at compeletly the wrong time, or the engine is flooded as soon as I try to kick it over.

Checked my jetting and this is my setup - Air meter screw is 1 1/4 turns out, plug is B8ES, Main is 160, Pilot is 48, Needle is DEK, clip is set at third groove from top. Anybody have suggestions for the PWK Airstriker jetting setup??

Your tors is probably the issue with the non starting. You can't just unplug them and go. Unplugging the system will cause it to be active at all times. The plug going to the carb, you just unplug and that's it. The one up front you can do two ways. You can either cut the plug off and splice the wires which permanantly destroys your factory harness, or you can do like most do and keep it plugged into the throttle then clip the wire either up at the throttle and splice the two wires together and tuck the wires in somewhere or you can clip them down closer to the plug and splice them there. If you didn't do this then that is your non starting issue more than likely. Hope this helps.

Quick summary:
I'm getting gas into the cylinder because the plug is wet and I smell fuel.
Getting spark when I hold the plug against the cylinder and kick it over.
Checked the compression and its 120 psi (rings not set yet).
I removed the TORS system, brain and all - '89 machine so I don't think any splicing is required but not certain on that point. If I was suposed to splice any wires that could be the problem but someone said no splicing required on models older than '02.

i have an 02, and i think they are the same as what you have, the only diff is 03 and up, you have to splice the throttle wires, 02 and under you can just pull the brain out from under the nose piece and ur good, what i did and mine runs like a champ!

Guess I may have misled you. On my son's blaster I had to splice the wires. Never knew there was a difference between the years for how they needed to be removed. It sounds to me like all conditions should be okay for the motor to at least fire. Maybe not run perfect, but at least something, spark, fuel, compression, should fire unless it's just completely getting drenched with fuel. Have you checked your choke circuit and float settings to make sure they are okay?

yeah there is a grommet in the choke asembly that goes bad that will make it act like the choke is not disengaging, could be plugged jets. could be a bad plug boot, ignition? on another note make sure you are mixing 32:1

nobody seems to have said anything about the idle speed.
how is it set on the carb? if you've got it set too low it'll never kick over. have you tried kickin it or pulling it behind the tractor w/ the throttle at wide open?
also, if the plug has been fouled, you should def put a new one in.
another thought, are you sure all your torque specs are good? no leaks anywhere letting in air?
when you kick it does it make any sounds like it's trying to start? when you pulled it what gear did you have it in?

I would put the stock carb on and see how it goes. and if it starts you know you just have to adjust your new one