Plastic restoration methods comparison

MercMenace

Mountain Man
Apr 27, 2014
Cheyenne, Wy
I Googled plastic restoration and, of course, there were a million opinions.

Personally I like the tried and true method of, Scrape, Sand, Rubbing compund, Polishing compound, Wax.

I am going to write up the 5 most popular.

Reactions: motoman159
I got this bike. 06 Ttr230. Craigslist, 500 bucks. It spent it's life in the Florida Keys.

The sun and salt water took its toll on the whole bike.

I read about using Olive oil, so I had to try it. Sounded to rediculous to work. A little on a rag, wipe on, let sit wipe off.

I didn't take a before pic but the front fender was just as bad as the rear.

heat gun for standard blue or black plastics removes the stress marks best imho any other colour needs the scrape sand and polish method.

I'm 9hours into wet flatting a 1983 cr50 tank and airbox as it was absolutely hammered and both covered in gloss and hammerite paint id love to be able post pics on here but cant for love nor money lol so all my progress is on instagram

My plastics were badly faded and marked where the original stickers were removed, I did the usual googling and found something of Youtube using 60% paint thinners (white spirit) to 40% boiled linseed oil. The materials cost me 8€ and I cleaned and dried the bike and rubbed the solution in and off with a soft cloth, it's not perfect but certainly has put more than 8€ on the value of my 15 year old Blaster. I'd previously tried the heat gun method but found the gain didn't last. The Blaster is at least shining now!

Reactions: Awk08