PJ 34

Blaster8821

Sep 4, 2014
I got a PJ 34mm from Duncan racing and my engine fired right up. When I slam the throttle it bogs and pops a little bit. if I keep my RPM's up its fine. Is this how your suppose to ride it? It was pre jetted from Duncan and the plug looks really good. its ported and has a high compression head but is not a big bore. Any helpful information would be great!

Unscrew the 4 bolts on the bottom the carb and unscrew the main jet and pilot jets and tell us what sizes they put in..also what clip the needle is on and tell us what markings r on the needle
Also what is the elavation and average temperature of where u ride

There is no way a carb can come "pre jetted". Every engine is different, not to mention set-ups.

Makes me think of the 44x48 oval bored carbs I bought. Came with a 500 main, guarenteed not to burn down.

34's jetting range should be.....

16mm float height
45 to 52 pilots
CEL or DGH needle
150 to 162 mains

should cover a wide range of pipes, airbox/filter configs and sea level to 2000'+ elevation

The Pilot is a 52, needle is a CGJ at the 4th slot and the main is a 165. It was pre jetted in a way from Duncan Racing since they asked me what I had done to the bike and what elevation was etc. its ported and bored .010 over, high compression head reading 168 all from KOR. FMF fatty gold with turbine core II, pyramid reeds, 34 PJ carb, CFM air box with K and N filter with the lid on, timing is stock. I called Duncan and they had me change the pilot from a 50 to a 52 and it did help a lot but it still is a little boggy when I'm in 3rd/4th gear going about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. before (with the 50 pilot) it was boggy in 1st/2nd gear and couldn't even get it to wheelie. Now it does. Duncan now is saying to try the 3rd needle slot with the 52 pilot and then gap a new sparkplug at 0.28.

also I'm only 850 feet about sea level and am running it at about 70-75 degrees

/\ all that sounds very rich for an FMF pipe. And nobody on here has ever got one of these 34/35's to run right with anything but a dgh or cel needle, and neither will you, no matter what Duncan tells you

Well today I took it on the trail for a solid 2 or more hours spark plug was a little dark but not bad. (Will do a plug chop this weekend if it stops raining.) My top end screams at WOT but the engine bogs if you try to floor it from a basically idle to drag race or to even to pop a wheelie. Were can I get the DGH or the CEL needle? my dealers sell the pilot and main jets for the PJ but not the needles.

Well today I took it on the trail for a solid 2 or more hours spark plug was a little dark but not bad. (Will do a plug chop this weekend...... if it doesnt fry first.) My top end screams at WOT but the engine bogs if you try to floor it from a basically idle to drag race or to even to pop a wheelie. Were can I get the DGH or the CEL needle? my dealers sell the pilot and main jets for the PJ but not the needles.

/\ fixed that for ya !

most of us under 1000' elevation like the CEL needle better, I run DGH @ 1800'+

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEIHIN-JET-NEEDLE-CEL-/291356787424?hash=item43d637c2e0&vxp=mtr

but, before you tune the needle you have to get the pilot and airscrew correct, there is only one way, and thats not go out ripping on it :(..........................
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/adjusting-your-airscrew-pilot-jet.51060/

check your float while you're in there, 16mm for that carb: http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/float-heights-and-how-to-adjust-them.50565/

/\ fixed that for ya !

most of us under 1000' elevation like the CEL needle better, I run DGH @ 1800'+

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEIHIN-JET-NEEDLE-CEL-/291356787424?hash=item43d637c2e0&vxp=mtr

but, before you tune the needle you have to get the pilot and airscrew correct, there is only one way, and thats not go out ripping on it :(..........................
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/adjusting-your-airscrew-pilot-jet.51060/

check your float while you're in there, 16mm for that carb: http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/float-heights-and-how-to-adjust-them.50565/
its running rich so I wouldn't think it would blow up

the condition you are describing sounds like wrong/improperly set needle and possibly sir fuel mixture I run a 34mm pj on my 83 atc250r and only run a 145 main so I would get the cel needle get the air fuel and idle spot on and then do a plug chop

This is what I got basically spending my entire afternoon making the Airscrew/ Pilot Jet spot on. I checked the float level before I started and is was spot on at 16mm. I ordered the CEL needle last night so it will be a few days before it will arrive. when the needle arrives, what slot should I start it at? At the moment, I have my CGJ set at the 3rd (middle) slot. I have done a plug chop for the main jet before on the 26mm stock carb and know how to do that but how do you do the pilot jet?

I personally feel I got the air mixture screw perfect just under 2.5 turns but more than 2 turns. 1/4 to about 1/2 throttle sounds good and doesn't bog but 1/2 to 3/4 is boggy and pops a little so I'm 99% sure it has to do to the fact I have the wring needle and wrong needle height.

1:30 PM

• Air mixture screw was 4 ½ turns out.

• Plug was gapped at 0.028

• 52 pilot jet

• Light rain

• 66 degrees
1:45 PM

• Air mixture screw was 4 ½ turns out.

• 52 pilot jet

• Light rain

• 66 degrees
3:00 PM

• Air mixture screw was 2 turns out.

• 50 pilot jet

• Light rain

• 66 degrees
3:10 PM

• Air mixture screw was 2 ½ turns out.

• Plug gapped at 0.028

• 50 pilot jet

• Light rain

• 66 degrees
3:15 PM

• Air mixture screw was 2 ½ turns out.

• Plug gapped at 0.028

• 50 pilot jet

• Light rain

• 66 degrees
6:03 PM

• Air mixture screw was 2 turns out.

• 50 pilot jet

• Light rain

• 66 degrees

Reactions: Awk08
personally feel I got the air mixture screw perfect just under 2.5 turns but more than 2 turns. 1/4 to about 1/2 throttle sounds good and doesn't bog but 1/2 to 3/4 is boggy and pops a little so I'm 99% sure it has to do to the fact I have the wring needle and wrong needle height.

I agree you got the pilot and airscrew good if it is under 2-1/2 turns out for highest idle, and revs clean to 1/2 throttle.
you may need to do very small 1/8th turn adjustments once riding, or daily as the temps, humidity, ect. change.
the CEL needle on the middle clip will clear up your mid throttle stumbles, you can do 1/2 throttle plug chops to confirm if you want.
then on to main jetting plug chops

I agree you got the pilot and airscrew good if it is under 2-1/2 turns out for highest idle, and revs clean to 1/2 throttle.
you may need to do very small 1/8th turn adjustments once riding, or daily as the temps, humidity, ect. change.
the CEL needle on the middle clip will clear up your mid throttle stumbles, you can do 1/2 throttle plug chops to confirm if you want.
then on to main jetting plug chops
perfect! thanks for all the information you have given me Awk08

perfect! thanks for all the information you have given me Awk08

you're making it easy on us to help you by reporting back with detailed progress !

while your waiting for the needle, throw a 48 pilot in there and tune the airscrew to see what turns it requires ? and report back with results.
good practice if nothing else, and can always return the 50 @ 2-ish turns

you're making it easy on us to help you by reporting back with detailed progress !

while your waiting for the needle, throw a 48 pilot in there and tune the airscrew to see what turns it requires ? and report back with results.
good practice if nothing else, and can always return the 50 @ 2-ish turns
Yeah I'm going to get a 48 because it still not running right in the low/ mid range. I got the CEL needle and put it in the 3rd slot and had no improvement and so I move it to the 4th and it was better but not perfect. This was the mid range plug chop with a 50 pilot and the CEL needle in the 4th slot.
IMG_2374.JPG

I also did a WOT plug chop and this is what I got with a 60 main jet. IMG_2373.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2374.JPG
    IMG_2374.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 315
  • IMG_2373.JPG
    IMG_2373.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 361
you might have to bring it to the bottom slot like I did. im running a 240 big bore with 34 pj at 16 ft above sea level with a 48 pilot, CEL bottom slot and 170 main but that was for cold weather (20 to 50ish degrees I haven't ridden it since its got warm so it might be alittle too rich for the summer

Tomorrow I am planning on Dropping the needle down to the 5th slot. I ordered a 48 pilot jet and got a 158 main. my WOT plug chop looked a little rich still so I'm dropping it a little. Hoping to get it up and running really soon. I've been dying to ride!!!!