piston

randelator

Nov 17, 2007
quebec,canada
i am just wondering what kind of after market piston you guys use,i usually use wiseco pro-lite but some people ask me about (vertex piston kits) did anybody ever use vertex before and what you think of it !!!

yeah ,thats why i am asking if somewone ever use it and what was the outcome,cause this kid want me to do a porting job on is blaster and he ask me about vertex but never heard of them before,but he say he can have a complet set four about half price so i told him i looke around to see wath people are thinking about it!!

Food for thought...

Factory pistons were cast and balanced to the motor. After a 20yr run, I'd say the Yamaha folks had a winner.

For a stock motor I'd stick with cast. Remember me always whining about how it's a system!!

Once you change the system, your on your own.

I would say a forged piston would be a better choice for performance mods. It will deal with higher compression and heat.

That said, it's all about the builder. If you don't replace the wrist pin and bearing, rod and crank, the crank bearings and seals, don't blame the piston if it dies. It's only one part of a system that already died once (in alot of cases).

I run into this all the time with V8 rebuilds and 98% of it's bullshit. The actual diff. between cast and forged is not a factor on a total rebuild.

Think about what it takes to make a piston, how much effort and money on machines. It doesn't make sense to make one that won't hold up to OEM specs.

Which is my point, to original specs, with a correct rebuild, cast is fine.

A

If your going to rebuild a forged piston is better even if its still stock. A cast may hold up, but not as long and can just cause more damage.

well just to tell you i know how to rebuilt a engine i am a technicien at yamaha, and i know de diff between cast and forged ,thanks for the help but my main question was what is your experiance with vertex piston but thanks for the help

sorry i dont want to be impolite its just thats my english sucks and i wright with basic word so what i thinks and wright its not always the same so sorry if i was impolite

I'm sorry

I didn't want to confuse your opinion with facts. Me and all the engineers at Yamaha are wrong and you are a sage.

I can tell 'cause you missed the whole point of my post.

I won't intrude with anymore facts on your diatribes.

Randelator your communication is fine and very polite. Since no real exper. was found or offered to you on that exact casting, I only offer my 25yrs of engine exper. on thousands of pistons and hundreds of engine rebuilds. Which confirmed the engineers at Yamaha's choice of parts. Then stated what I think you know, that all parts work together and inserting a piston is worthless if the other parts aren't up to spec.

And as to the last longer and cause more damage. bullshit. It was designed around that weight, not forged (little thing called balance, theres even a cool piece called a counter balance which isn't matched to a forged piston, hmmm?), so on even terms the forged will not last longer and the cast will not "cause damage". I can get plenty rude on your "opinion", but I'll not post here again. I recall an earlier thread where wrong info was handed out.

Flyers, lemme know how the counter balancer is designed for the forged piston and why an out of balance engine will last longer?
You missed the whole point.

I'll type real slow...

Cast vs. forged is irrelevant except on completly rebuilt and re-engineered motors. A differant weight piston will throw the balance off and you get a diff. harmonic. Period. All the parts are designed around the stock piston. A cast over bore will have the same issue. The original spec. motor with original parts will last longer than any mods you stuff in it. Friction and balance is like gravity, they don't care about your opinion or your cousins Blaster, they are constant.

My last post on this thread.

A

Settle down guys.. its a f*cking blaster forum.. To the OP, I have a Weisco.. and personally if i am doing a top end rebuild on a built or stock motor im using a Weisco pistion no matter what..

my .02

I didn't want to confuse your opinion with facts. Me and all the engineers at Yamaha are wrong and you are a sage.

I can tell 'cause you missed the whole point of my post.

I won't intrude with anymore facts on your diatribes.

Randelator your communication is fine and very polite. Since no real exper. was found or offered to you on that exact casting, I only offer my 25yrs of engine exper. on thousands of pistons and hundreds of engine rebuilds. Which confirmed the engineers at Yamaha's choice of parts. Then stated what I think you know, that all parts work together and inserting a piston is worthless if the other parts aren't up to spec.

And as to the last longer and cause more damage. bullshit. It was designed around that weight, not forged (little thing called balance, theres even a cool piece called a counter balance which isn't matched to a forged piston, hmmm?), so on even terms the forged will not last longer and the cast will not "cause damage". I can get plenty rude on your "opinion", but I'll not post here again. I recall an earlier thread where wrong info was handed out.

Flyers, lemme know how the counter balancer is designed for the forged piston and why an out of balance engine will last longer?
You missed the whole point.

I'll type real slow...

Cast vs. forged is irrelevant except on completly rebuilt and re-engineered motors. A differant weight piston will throw the balance off and you get a diff. harmonic. Period. All the parts are designed around the stock piston. A cast over bore will have the same issue. The original spec. motor with original parts will last longer than any mods you stuff in it. Friction and balance is like gravity, they don't care about your opinion or your cousins Blaster, they are constant.

My last post on this thread.

A
well since you didnt read the post correctely , i am sorry to be a bad personne and since my help here is not needed well i wish you guys a long and prosper life , thats was my last post on this forum , my mistake is thats i speak french and i am not good in wrighting english and sometime i just dont know how to express my self in english wrighting and since i am not 12 years old(sorry fo those of you thats are 12 no offence) well i can figure when i am not welcome anymore so thanks evrybody and see ya!!!!!!!!

This is pretty stupid.. One person says some with you in conflict so you are going to stop viewing and posting on this forum? Thats a bit rediculous.. I appreciate your help with explaing info on the CDI and other engine stuff we coverd.. and im sure others feel the same about other info you coverd.

I think "quiting" the forums is a bit extreme.. dont you?

Follow up

I wrote you an email and a PM to explain what I said, I think it may clear it up for you. You are a very well respected opinion here. I was not pissing on your parade. I know you have been in an engine before. It was the one that has cool grab bars and paint on his crap and narry and engine mod.

Dude bottom line is opinions are like assholes we all have one and they stink. Let it roll off. Hell I'll keep posting and sh*tting on stryder if it will help.

A

Edit, BTW your english and communication is fine. Better than mine, I tend to piss people off....

Last edited:
ok ok i am sorry i am a little tired my 4 month old sons keep on crying,he got flu shot today,and i miss read the post oldfart1atv just send me a e-mail explaning evrething to me and i told me it wasent about me ,sorry again i just wish i could go back but ....well if sombody need me i will be idle around like always,you know even 34 years old act like 6 somethime lol

Hell yea!!

That's what this all about!! Playing with our toys!!!!

Bummer on the baby. I have three, well ones in coll. the second is a Junior in HS and the third is nine. Been there. It gets better. Keep them healthy!!!

Glad it sorta worked out.

A