Piston wear

Oldfart1stATV

Oct 29, 2007
OK, had some questions about piston wear and I pretty much crushed some opinions. I want to show why what I believe is pretty much straight up.

Soooo.....

In the first two pics: You see a piston that has alot of use on the exhaust side. This is what all pistons should die from. It means the fuel was mixed right, the motor was built right and the ride was driven for a long time.

Everything worked like it should.

Notice how worn the exhaust side is and how clean the intake is.

A

Now with that said!!!

If you, me God or whatever does something stupid, ignorant or otherwise unwise (now that's a cool statement initself!!) does something adverse, you get this:

A

With that...

You get this:

A "properly built" motor don't eat pistons.

This is the point I want to make.

I have built 100's of motors. I may have overlooked the point that many of you have not. So you see damage like the second set and try and figure out why.

I posted "against" another member and his exper.

I am sorry if I hurt feelers.

The truth here is that if the motor is tweaked it does the first set of pics after use. You bone it and you get the second set of pics real friggin' quick.

So My point of view is that no piston will fail on the intake side if it is set up correctly.

My consession is: If you bone the set up, it can die in all sorts of unfriendly ways!

The first set is from a lower i bought off of Bigdawg right here. It is exaclty what I expected from a serious kinda fella.

The second set is from the dick I bought the very first Blaster from. He slapped the Toomey on and didn't rejet and probably didn't remove the lid.

So heads up kids, here's the skinny in color.
If you build it right, you get an egg shaped cyl. after a few million strokes and then it gets a lettle extra heat on the exhaust side and then she fails.

You do something wrong and sh*t goes wrong.

I just wanted to make it clear what i was saying about the piston failure and where.

A

I completely agree. Every piston i have ever blown, went on the exhaust side. Except one, but that one wasn't jetted correctly when i bought it and i didn't notice til i rode it the second time and blew it up. Always check that they are jetted right when you buy a blaster with a pipe on it, lol

Sooooo bad...

"and there in lies the rub"

That's a nasty pun, I know.

It is also exactly what I was saying.

That is the diff. between a piston worn away and a piston pissed away.

A

You have to think outside the box...

If you, me God or whatever does something stupid, ignorant or otherwise unwise (now that's a cool statement initself!!) does something adverse, you get this:

A

From our discussion in the other thread, this is exactly how mine ended up except the entire intake side was gone, to include the center piece in your pic.

One of the quads is bone stock but they removed the air box lid and didn't put a filter on (that's a no-duh answer as to why it happened, plus they rode around with the choke on the entire time).