Pipe questions.

NovaScotian

Dec 9, 2008
Eastern Canada
I've heard good Fatty's will get you quite a bit of low end power for the price. Does a silencer really do anything besides make it sound better? and do you have any links or brands for good pipes for a STOCK blaster that wouldn't be too hard for cash? Or perhaps something else that would benefit me more in the same price range?
thanks.

A silencer can add power but mostly it is the pipe that changes the power curve. Any pipe with air filter and lid off will help.

pipes can actually hurt power if you get the wrong one. the 2stroke engine's performance is LARGELY determined by the pipe. much more so than on a 4stroke. any pipe that's worth paying for is gonna be expensive as sh*t. don't even bother w/ the fmf. it's power curve isn't much better than the stock pipe.
the most beneficial single mod that you can do to a 2stroke engine is the port and polish w/ a good compensating head design. and it's cheaper than a new pipe! huge power gains, but a pipe will be integral to maximize the gains from the p&p.
talk to a good engine builder and you'll get all the info you need. there are 3 or 4 dudes in here that do real good engine work. flotek, wildcard, i think woodward specialties, but i'd highly recommend talking to kennedy_power. he really knows his sh*t and he's got a lot of formal education as well as trail time.

also, if you put a pipe on without rejetting, that only hurt you.
silencers alter back pressure and some just look cooler, i would go with the quietest one.
i hear toomey makes a great expansion chamber