Pics of powder coating colors

callmej75

Jul 12, 2009
Roanoke, VA
I know you guys like powder coating versus the wet painting method because of the durability. Even tho is can be costly in some geographical areas, it is well worth it. Well guys As I promised i would help as much as I could for the beginners wondering about this hobby and at least put some info in the guys heads that are awesome at powder coating as well. I'll start by posting color charts. Everyone sees' powder coating as black and white. This was my initial reaction...how boring is this stuff! Then as I researched...I have grown to love the varieties you are offered! Well enough babbling...check these links out!

Caswell Inc. - Indoor, Metallic, Candy, RAL and High Temperature Powder Coatings

Columbia Coatings

Columbia Coatings

Columbia Coatings

Columbia Coatings

Columbia Coatings

Columbia Coatings

Columbia Coatings

Columbia Coatings

http://store.columbiacoatings.com/c...ion&searchstart=12&keywords=all&category=MTPW

http://store.columbiacoatings.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=SEPW&keywords=all

http://store.columbiacoatings.com/c...ion&searchstart=12&keywords=all&category=SEPW

http://store.columbiacoatings.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=SHCC&keywords=all

Columbia Coatings

Columbia Coatings

Columbia Coatings

Columbia Coatings

Columbia Coatings

Columbia Coatings

Columbia Coatings

Columbia Coatings

Columbia Coatings

Columbia Coatings

Columbia Coatings

Columbia Coatings

Here is what Tiger Drylac has to offer in their downloadable brochures of color charts:

TIGER Coatings: Color Charts / Brochures

Just take a gander at what they have to offer so this way you can customize your Blasters that noone else can duplicate!

Columbia Coatings :: All In One Chrome Urethane

is this easy to pc and what all is needed i already have a sandblaster

That is a one shot deal....usually with chrome powder you have to shoot the chrome, bake, then shoot the clear, and then bake it again to fully cure both coats. To my preference, the chrome looks more like a hyped up silver. Not much a difference. But sandblasted, all you would have to do is pretreat it, bake it to dry if off and get it a little warm, then shoot it on for a full cure. I usually use chrome as a base coat for transparent candy topcoats to make the candy top coat "pop." Shooting candy transparent topcoats over a chrome looks good. Here is some pics of my work...

Here is a chrome with a clear top coat...some chrome that needs a topcoat of clear usually have a black mar on the surface if scratched if no topcoat is done on it. This is a one stage chrome you are referring to so it would need no topcoat to prevent marring of the surface. Anyways...here is the dust cover with a top coat:

IMG_2481.jpg

Here is a chrome base with a candy blue topcoat:

IMG_2551.jpg

what all is needed to pc

Anything that is metal or aluminum. They make high temp powder cor the motor parts like the heads and what not. Anything that is proned to rust then PC will cover it and last for years to come...

All threaded holes and machined parts where moving parts will be inside of them would be masked off to avoid any powder to get into the rotating surfaces.

I am going to pc everything but the plastics and chain on mine.

After thinking...I may have misunderstood your question.

You need a metal rack for hanging and a good fan to suck the leftover powder into a filter if you don't want leftover powder to clean up. I use a powder coating gun that costed over $600 so the powder would lay better on the metal and it has adjustable KV settings for the powder to adhere to the metal faster and less waste, and be able to get in the corners where the $100 guns have a hard time getting into those crevices. I use de-ionized or distilled water to mix up my irom phosphate and a good sprayer to pretreat the metal, or convert the metal over to be coated. Then rinse with the de-ionized or distilled water and bake dry, Then powder coat it, and put it in the oven and check the temp of the metal being coated with an IR thermometer til it reaches proper cooking time, usually 400*. Then I start the time cycle. After it is done, pull it out of the oven, let cool, unmask and take all plugs outand it is realy to be installed once cool enough to handle it with your bare hands. Stripping and sandblasting the old coating is a must.

Hope that was the answer you were looking for....LOL

wonder if mods can subtract 15 posts from his account hahaha...stop spamming

looks like you got a good pc setup.. i personally think columbia is the best powder.. what blue is that exactly i like it...we have the Hawaiian blue from columbia

Yeh someone needs to felete all of those posts besides for one please.

That is a chrome base with a candy blue transparent from Tiger Drylac. It lays evenly and has NO light and dark spots unlike others when you spray it. I love that candy blue! Here is some of the special effects from Tiger Drylac....I don't like the color variations from the clor chart versus the real look. Here is a few off their special effects and specialty color charts:

Specialeffects2-1.jpg

Specialeffects3.jpg

Specialeffects-1.jpg

Specialties2.jpg

Specialties3.jpg

Specialties4.jpg

Specialties.jpg

That Hawaiian blue is a shade darker than the candy from Tiger, but it still looks awesome! Especially when you have lettering polished up on certain spots...I love the transparents!

I use to drip like crazy on some parts....the method I cured that with was turning the KV's down on my gun since it's adjustable, then holding the gun back from the workpiece maybe around a foot or more and watch it flow as the piece is still nice and warm. The drips always pissed me off...especially on the flat panels for color samples because the electrostatic charge loves the blunt edges! That creates the "mirroring effect...another pet peeve I have!

Have you ever tried out their new line of transparent metallics from Columbia?

Shimmer1.jpg

Shimmer2.jpg

Shimmer3.jpg

I believe when i rebuild the motor and get the Vito's specialties for the 240 build, i will do the head and cylinder cover this hi-temp silver instead of going stock black....

hitempsilver.jpg

This is an excerpt taken from Caswell plating's website on the temp range of this powder:

High Temperature Powder For Headers & Exhaust Applications

These silicone based powders can withstand prolonged service temp. of up to 1000F. Ideal for applications such as grills, stoves, furnaces and engines.

Here is a few pics of my setup just to give you guys an idea of what it takes for realy good work to produce. I am no means a pro at this, but I have put alot of time and money into this just for these reasons. This is what works best for me...

Amazingly...this gun is no longer available on the Eastwood site? Guess they discontinued it.

hotcoatpro.jpg

The oven: This was taken after it was all framed up and the sheetmetal on the outsides. I have high temp insulation in it with the walls covered in sheetmetal, 3 2,000 watt elements, and a digital control box with a timer that can be calibrated to reach a certain temp and shut the burners off just like a regular cook oven.

IMG_2776.jpg

no we havnt tried those yet but i might have my dad order some...we use columbias new hyper smooth pony gun i like it...we are working on a oven much like yours to...nice setup

no we havnt tried those yet but i might have my dad order some...we use columbias new hyper smooth pony gun i like it...we are working on a oven much like yours to...nice setup

If you need info on building your own oven, go to caswellplating.com and go to their oven building forum. I had a guy on there make my digital control box for around $400 but I'm not an electrician so you could probably do it much cheaper yourself.

That hyper smooth gun looks ok...but there is a considerable amount of powder waste from that video. The hot coat pro has very minimal powder waste so if you run across one, get that sucker! I wanna Gema powder gun....but were talking 5G's or more! The rest of the cheap guns poof out the powder and you have alot of waste and inconstant thickness on the parts you powder. Not downing it...I know how everyone's budget goes for this kind of hobby, but as all things in this world now days, you get what ya pay for unfortunately!

our ovens done just needs to be wired and we need 220 in our garage...my dads timsyfz on here by the way
we have a control box not sure if its from the same guy or not tho