Picked up a free cylinder........but there is a problem

Got the cylinder back today from the shop. The tech did an awesome job on boring it now just waiting to get the gaskets and time to install leak test then heat cycle.:D

Warm soapy water yes. Just remember it can't ever be too clean. A hose wrks good so you can blast water through the transfer ports and pay close attn to the inside corners of the ports because thasts where things like to hide. Use a paper towel when drying and if you see any dirt/dark spots on paper towl than clean it again.. After all said and done, wipe some oil around in the cyl to keep it from rusting.

Btw:; did the shop chamfer the ports?

Last edited:
Reactions: Larry's Shee
Warm soapy water yes. Just remember it can't ever be too clean. A hose wrks good so you can blast water through the transfer ports and pay close attn to the inside corners of the ports because thasts where things like to hide. Use a paper towel when drying and if you see any dirt/dark spots on paper towl than clean it again.. After all said and done, wipe some oil around in the cyl to keep it from rusting.

Btw:; did the shop chamfer the ports?
Got ya!!! I'll be sure to clean it good better to take the time after i was able to salvage this. I dont want to wreck it just because of a little dirt. Yes the tech did chamfer the ports.

Good deal !! Ya, seems crazy to clean with soap &water. Best way to get microscopic particles out. Just like having grinding compound in there.

Just like surgery, you can have battle field patch up, or sterile operating room. .003" clearance doesn't leave much room for error.

GOOD job !!

Well I'm waiting on the base and reed gaskets to come in before i can start turning the wrench. In the mean time I took the clutch cover off and inspected the clutch basket. according to the manual i need new springs because mine are very worn. So I ordered springs. The springs I ordered are 10% stiffer then stock. I got them for a good deal. What difference can I expect. I also filed down the groves on the basket itself as it was very messed up.

You most likely won't feel the difference in the stiffness of the springs but the peice of mind knowing there grabbing better will make up for it :D ..

The steel plates and friction plates were in good shape? Only asking because now is the time to replace since your in there.. There not much if you do decide to do them..

Filing down the grooves should make the pulling of the clutch smoother (less gritty feeling)..

Yeah the plates were in good shape. It looks like they may have been replaced recently. However when taking them apart the metal ring was on the outer part of the clutch pack and after watching vids on how to install the plates I found out it belongs on the second small friction plate. Would there be a reason other then ignorance for doing this like this?

Got the cylinder installed and everything back together and leak tested (Pass) I haven't fires it up yet I will wait till tomorrow to do that. I am going to do heat cycles tomorrow as well. I also cleaned up the clutch cover and added a little character to it. Thanks to @Fas6hand for the brake setup, got the back on now just waiting on the rest of the parts for the front.

Got the cylinder installed and everything back together and leak tested (Pass) I haven't fires it up yet I will wait till tomorrow to do that. I am going to do heat cycles tomorrow as well. I also cleaned up the clutch cover and added a little character to it. Thanks to @Fas6hand for the brake setup, got the back on now just waiting on the rest of the parts for the front.
Looks great! It's nice being able to stop.

Finally got everything done yesterday and was able to actually ride today on this cylinder. Have to say not only does it sound 100 times better then the ebay cylinder kit that was on here before, It has so much more power. I also had to give in and get a full hmf exhaust. After doing two plug chops to insure correct jetting I now have my mind at peace LOL. :D

Reactions: jbuckster07