Picked up a free cylinder........but there is a problem

Charles hoffman

Live free...Ride hard
Jan 18, 2016
Charles Town WV
I picked this up for a nice price of FREE today. one problem though lol. As you can see in the pics there is a bolt stuck in one of the intake holes. It looks to me like the previous owner tried to drill it out and was Very unsuccessful. is this thing fixable and what would it take to get it right.

No biggy. Clamp it in a vertical mill with a center drill after laying out the proper location. Great score there.

Reactions: 82cutty
If you can't drill and tap it yourself it might not be worth fixing . For what someone would charge to fix it you could possibly get a better cylinder

No biggy. Clamp it in a vertical mill with a center drill after laying out the proper location. Great score there.
LOL problem is I don't have a vertical mill. Is there any other way I could make this work. I have a drill press but i really doubt that would do seeing how I would have no way to clamp it straight

LOL problem is I don't have a vertical mill. Is there any other way I could make this work. I have a drill press but i really doubt that would do seeing how I would have no way to clamp it straight
You could try center punching the bolt that's stuck. And trying a left hand drill bit. Run the drill in reverse. It may break loose and back out. Start small with the bit and work bigger. Worth a shot at least. If anything, good cylinder to practice some porting on.

Reactions: 82cutty
You will need a center punch and a set of easy outs.
spin_prod_209079001.jpg
.. Be as carefully as you can to be in the center of the bolt.

Is there any of the bolt sticking out on the backside?

Last edited:
Reactions: blasDa
Unfortunately there isn't any bolt sticking out the other side. Ive managed to get a hole drilled down almost center of the bolt I will try to use an easy out bit tomorrow. I did notice on the top of the cylinder there are two gouges near the bolt holes where the squish band goes will this affect anything being they are not around the seal area.

Hmmmm,,,, you will have to atleast file the chunks sticking up with a flat file and lap the cylinder. That area is where head gasket goes. Will it seal properly ? , probably. I'd use some copper spray gasket along with a new copper head gasket and cross my fingers that it seals. Will it seal? I think it may as long as ap the sealing surface well..

I def will use a new gasket.....where do you get the copper gasket spray at. Also is it feasible to use three bolts if this one won't come out. I def don't wanna waste this cylinder.

You can get copper spray gasket at Autozone...Napa or pretty much any auto parts store . You need to use all 4 bolts for the reed cage...if you don't you'll have an air leak . Did you measure the bore ? That cylinder is pretty beat up...I wouldn't use it and risk wrecking a motor . If you're dead set on using it ask KOR if he can machine it and get it bored and honed at the same time

Hopefully you've sprayed it with PB Blaster. Take a torch and heat around bolt, let cool, repeat, repeat. Get EZ ready, heat slightly around bolt. If it starts then stops spray PB, let cool, try again. Might not be bad idea to lap that surface too.
Do you know what bore it's on?

I believe the bore is one or two sizes over standard I have a standard piston and compared I plan on getting it bored if I can get this bolt out lol. What is Pb?

So the good news is with all the tips and tricks on here i was able to back the bolt out and save this cylinder. I took it to the shop today and its going to be bored .30 over. I was told by the tech that is doing the work on the cylinder that the marks will not affect it sealing on the head. Its a good thing too because when i told the guy that I got the quad off of said. "Oh you're probably going to want to put that jug on then because the one i put on was a kit from eBay." Well after reading about the so called eBay kits on here.........yep good thing this thing is gonna be done Monday.

Reactions: Awk08
this /\
should be bolt threads sticking out the other side, grab with vise grips and continue threading it out the front side.

I've had decent luck with this style extractor, I have the craftsman brand.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-in-1-Scre...102257?hash=item4d34ba3cb1:g:unwAAOSwjVVVlm-x

View attachment 26563
AWK this is the kit I used and it worked out great i thought it was slipping in the bolt at first but it made it so easy to back it out I didn't know it was actually coming out lol

Reactions: Awk08
Nice save Charles !

AWK this is the kit I used

I just like that style, as the same tool bit drills the perfect hole, then flip it for the remover end. but it won't remove as large of bolts as the other style