Painting shock springs?

Iceman72

Sep 1, 2008
alaska
What's the best way to repaint the springs on your shocks?
I'm in the process of repainting and rebuilding my spare blaster.The paint I chose for the frame is just a tad darker than it looked in the chip book and so It kinda throws the scheme off a little.(but it's not bad).
I have white plastic and red springs.
I have a mettalic silver paint that I am going to use on the swingarm/carrier-A-Arms- Steering stem & foot pegs.
The frame is painted in a dark red metallic,and it looks awesome right now.
The springs are a little bit brighter red,so id like to match them up.
The paint I am using is Prism 3.5 voc Urethane Enamel.According to the spec sheet it has what they call a "flexibility aspect ratio" and according the sheet it was fairly flexible.
I guess what I want to know is .....Is there a special type coating the factory puts on the springs or is it just a real good paint job or powdercoat?I have a lot of this paint left and it's not cheap so if I can cover the springs and it will hold out,I don't mind taking the time to do it right.(I live in SE Alaska so there is nothing better to do).But if it's gonna fall off I would rather go with the other color.

The coating on springs is actually a vynil coating they hot coat on. I've scrathced it off a set of springs while changing my red to yellow springs. I scratched lots of the red off taking those springs off the shocks I wanted to keep and a little yellow off taking the springs I wanted off their shocks.

I reconfigured the hooks on my spring compressors to keep them from scratching the plastic off and touched the springs up with krylon fusion paint to match the yellow body I was planning and it took. I put the springs I wanted on the shocks I wanted and they turned out pretty darn good.

Now, for whether your paint is going to take.... who knows LOL! paint it and see how it holds up.