Oil Tank / mix

Markblaster

Custom blaster
Dec 6, 2015
Hi all. Just got a 05 blaster.

Last owner was running 40:1 mix in the fuel tank. But I seen that the oil tank on the back of the quad is still there and is half full of oil.

Wouldn't the engine be getting to much oil now? Any ways to check to see if the oil is getting used out of the oil tank. don't want to just remove his mix and put normal fuel in tank and find out that the oil system is not running.

Thanks

The oil pump is inside the clutch cover on the side. You will see two hoses entering the cover. One leads to the oil tank, other back to the carb. Pull the line off the carb while the engine is running, and see if oil is coming out.

While testing like @tbrooks said be sure to hold the loose end up so it does not drip from gravity. If the pump is still active you are not going to see alot of oil coming out just a small drip.

as above to see if the pump is still running, you'll need to pry back the little brass ring on the hose to get it off the carb nipple, it doesn't just pull off easily...by design.

then decide if you want to keep using the injection system, nothing wrong with that.
or delete it properly and mix your oil, we like, and most hjetting info on here is for 32:1.
40:1 is a little weak for an old air cooled engine.

be sure to not leave that hose off the carb for long while testing the pump, as thats a huge air leak,
and to block off the carb nipple with an 1/8" vacuum cap if you decide to delete the injection.

Thanks will try that and see how it goes. Will end up doing the tank pump delete option at some stage. Will let you know how I get on.

Oh and I will be riding at sea level to 50m.

The oil pump is inside the clutch cover on the side. You will see two hoses entering the cover. One leads to the oil tank, other back to the carb. Pull the line off the carb while the engine is running, and see if oil is coming out.

Did this and yes oil is getting pump to the carb so have removed the fual/oiil mix out of the fuel tank and put clean fuel in.

This look and sound ok.

Reactions: bummer981
Did this and yes oil is getting pump to the carb so have removed the fual/oiil mix out of the fuel tank and put clean fuel in.

This look and sound ok.
Yes that looks good.

For future reference, the forum rule is to only post photos/videos while in motion with a helmet on.
just so younger kids dont get the idea its fine without them. and so we know you are being safe, even if it is just a test run

Sweet. Thanks and yeah that's fine. will where one in other videos if I ride. Also it will cover my ugly mug. hehe.