Oil Pump question

nchoma

Feb 22, 2010
Florida
I have read about 10 threads now about installing a block off kit, it sounds like a great idea and I will probably go that route after getting more familiar with my Blaster. I have white smoke coming out of the exhaust right now and have read numerous threads about it being the crank seal or trans oil, but I have checked the seal and changed the trans oil and neither helped. Could my oil line be blocked, or oil pump not working right, is that possible? How can I check my oil lines before resorting to the block off kit? I am not 100% confident with my abilities yet and have only seen like 3 pictures of the block off kit install.

Thanks

I don't know what 2 stroke oil smells like per say....but it doesn't smell like anything is burning like plastic or rubber, guess just smokey. If that helps.

ok,then if your crank seal is good and you replaced your trans oil then its not a bottom end problem i guess. Has this been happening for some time or is it all of a sudden??? could be water in the pipe or the packing being burned. If it wasnt getting any oil it wouldnt smoke, would just blow up.

Well I guess thats good news, sort of. I just got it from my parents house, it was sitting there for a while probably last ran about 9 months ago, it was not taken care of just used as a toy around thier property. I have been working on it trying to get it in top condition and this white smoke if the last thing I need to fix. Thanks to this forum already did the tranmission oil, fixed headlight, and taillight, replaced air filter, ordered new chain rollers, bought a new rear grab bar (only $35 shipped), took off the factory stickers, and getting many more ideas from here. I also paid a shop to clean the carb prior to finding this website.
If anyone can let me know what else I should look into changing or cleaning please do so.

hey there, im new to the forum too, but ive been round off road two strokes for a while, so heres my 2 cents...

I wouldnt worry about the oil pump too much, they are generally reliable. But, all it does is give your engine the oil it needs, and you could give it a test.. i dont have it on me, but I have the yamaha service manual for all blasters n i can try and email it to you if you want.

You can disconnect the oil pump without removing it if you want? If i remember right, you dont even have to remove the right side of the engine to take the gear out or anything.. (disregard that, its another story)

I dont know what others would say about this, but you can disconnect the inlet tube to the oil pump, and then block the hose, and the inlet using a bit of tube that you put on and then seal by bending it and wrapping a bit of wire on it. Then, take the outlet tube off the pump side and MAKE SURE YOU BLOCK THIS OFF SECURELY! like bending the end, and wrapping it in wire, and leaving it in under the oil pump cover so it dosent move around. Be sure this is sealed off as it would allow unmetered air to enter the engine and make your mixture lean.. Then before you do anything else, remove the gas in the tank, and measure it, and mix in 33 cc's of oil per liter.. a 1:33 ratio in other words.. fill ur tank up with that, and test it out.. This will make your quad run a tad lean, as the oil will take the place of some of the gas and will make the gas slightly more viscous (thick).. its ok in a pinch, but if your not comfortable with fooling about, then HOW DO I SEND HIM A SERVICE MANUAL FILE THATS 30 MB? Because theres a bonifed yamaha procedure to measure the output of the pump.. if i cant send u the whole manual, Ill find the pages, n copy n paste them in..

hey there, im new to the forum too, but ive been round off road two strokes for a while, so heres my 2 cents...

I wouldnt worry about the oil pump too much, they are generally reliable. But, all it does is give your engine the oil it needs, and you could give it a test.. i dont have it on me, but I have the yamaha service manual for all blasters n i can try and email it to you if you want.

You can disconnect the oil pump without removing it if you want? If i remember right, you dont even have to remove the right side of the engine to take the gear out or anything.. (disregard that, its another story)

I dont know what others would say about this, but you can disconnect the inlet tube to the oil pump, and then block the hose, and the inlet using a bit of tube that you put on and then seal by bending it and wrapping a bit of wire on it. Then, take the outlet tube off the pump side and MAKE SURE YOU BLOCK THIS OFF SECURELY! like bending the end, and wrapping it in wire, and leaving it in under the oil pump cover so it dosent move around. Be sure this is sealed off as it would allow unmetered air to enter the engine and make your mixture lean.. Then before you do anything else, remove the gas in the tank, and measure it, and mix in 33 cc's of oil per liter.. a 1:33 ratio in other words.. fill ur tank up with that, and test it out.. This will make your quad run a tad lean, as the oil will take the place of some of the gas and will make the gas slightly more viscous (thick).. its ok in a pinch, but if your not comfortable with fooling about, then HOW DO I SEND HIM A SERVICE MANUAL FILE THATS 30 MB? Because theres a bonifed yamaha procedure to measure the output of the pump.. if i cant send u the whole manual, Ill find the pages, n copy n paste them in..

There is a copy on the site.
http://www.blasterforum.com/general-support-17/downloadable-yamaha-blaster-manual-17325/

So i took a look at the oil pump, looks like it is in great shape, probably the cleanest part on the ATV. The lines looks good as well. I took off the tailpipe and it was filled with water, no idea how that happened. I emptied it out and then took off the rest of the exhaust sytem which was dry. Could this be contributing to the smoke?

So i took a look at the oil pump, looks like it is in great shape, probably the cleanest part on the ATV. The lines looks good as well. I took off the tailpipe and it was filled with water, no idea how that happened. I emptied it out and then took off the rest of the exhaust sytem which was dry. Could this be contributing to the smoke?

Yep :) like i told you in my first post bro, water in the pipe. The white smoke you see is the water vapor, that pipe heats the hell up and vaporizes it.

you were right, thanks darealblaster....now what does repack the silencer mean? There was nothing there when I unscrewed the 3 screws. Or does he mean just put it back together? Let me clarify, 3 screws off the very back and 2 bolts holding it on the frame, 2 more clamps off the header i guess it would be called.

Awesome video, my silencer is a stock silencer, I dont remember seeing any bolts or rivets to seperate it. But then again I wasn't searching. Does anyone know off the top of thier head how a stock silencer would be taken apart to repack, or should I start taking it apart again.

Awesome video, my silencer is a stock silencer, I dont remember seeing any bolts or rivets to seperate it. But then again I wasn't searching. Does anyone know off the top of thier head how a stock silencer would be taken apart to repack, or should I start taking it apart again.

you cant repack a stock silencer. only aftermarket. ide just get all the water out as best i could let the pipe hang for a day and dry out. if you have the money just buy and aftermarket pipe.