Oil Injection Port on Carb

EZRider76

Feb 23, 2012
WNY
This will be a nice quick question. There is no fitting on the carb where the oil injection line would be...it's WFO for sucking in air. :eek: What size fitting could I get to plug that off? Knowing the carb is like this and I've run it around the yard a few times, 10 minutes tops before parking it, is there anything I should be checking for now? I had premix in it, but reading other posts, I'm kinda freaking out a bit now.

Now for a few other quickies. I've been doing some reading tonight in the stickies and I'm starting to scratch my head more than I'm learning. What is a leak down test? What is plug chopping? How do I know if I'm running the OEM carb or an aftermarket (The TORS is removed and the switch is gone too)? What are all those numbers when people talk about jetting (#320, 290, 260-270)? And here is a big one for me, how would I know, without removing the top end, if there is a big bore kit in my fourwheeler? When I bought it, the PO told me it did, I just looked at him and told him I didn't really care.

Okay, please help on the top paragraph for sure. If you want to enlighten me on some of the other stuff too, please, by all means...I do consider myself to be an idiot about this stuff. :-[

If it is stock carb there should be a brass nipple or open hole on right side of carb right by air cleaner boot. Did P O tell you to pre-mix?

If it is stock carb there should be a brass nipple or open hole on right side of carb right by air cleaner boot. Did P O tell you to pre-mix?

No, PO told me it was oil injected...but I did a little reading and asking questions and found out someone else must've removed the oil injection. The gear on the clutch cover plate is gone and the hoses going into that are looped into each other. There is no brass nipple, that is what I am asking about. What size or if there is a brass fitting or plug that I can thread into it and block it. Even if I need to get something from a dealer and then plug it, I just don't know the size. :-/

go to any local auto parts store and ask them to see the smallest vaccuum block off nipples they have, grab a few different sizes that look like they'd block off the oil inlet
10 minutes tops is prolly not enuf to do serious damage, unless it was all WFO,
there is always extra oil laying in the bottom of the cases that'll get ya by during these sitch-iations
get that blocked off, mix your fuel/oil 32:1...4oz. per gallon
with a good 2 stroke oil, my personal preference is maxima super m

plug chop (used to check your main jetting at WOT..........

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/how-plug-chop-38674/

leakdown tests (performed to ensure your motor is air leak proof)........

http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-parts-151/leak-down-tester-43284/

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/build-use-leakdown-tester-10663/

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/videos-how-perform-air-leakdown-test-31464/

bbk ???? stock carb???? closeup pics of each would help

Currently there is an open threaded hole though, and that is what I want to plug.

pics of said hole, there is one of those on the kicker side, that if you stick a small wire into, you'll find it is indeed blocked off with casting
the oil inlet is on that side, up high, right in front of the airbox boot, it's about 1/8"

if those injection tubes are looped together, YOU MUST RUN MIX
32:1

Pics would be a big help. Take some of the carb and cylinder. A leak down test is very important . The only place air should enter the motor is threw the carb to keep the proper air / fuel mix. You can have a number of places where you can get an air leak. An air leak is when it's pulling air into the motor from other places then the carb. Places that develops leaks are,crank seals,head gasket,base gasket,reed cage gasket,ect. The leak will throw of your air/fuel mix making your motor run lean.running a 2 stroke lean is like running your car real low on oil. The oil that you mix in the gas is the only thing that lubes the piston and crank. A plug chop is a method to determine if the air/fuel mix is correct for your motor and weather conditions. The jet numbers are the size of the hole in the jet that determines how much fuel it can flow with a given amount of air.

go to any local auto parts store and ask them to see the smallest vaccuum block off nipples they have, grab a few different sizes that look like they'd block off the oil inlet
10 minutes tops is prolly not enuf to do serious damage, unless it was all WFO,
there is always extra oil laying in the bottom of the cases that'll get ya by during these sitch-iations
get that blocked off, mix your fuel/oil 32:1...4oz. per gallon
with a good 2 stroke oil, my personal preference is maxima super m

plug chop (used to check your main jetting at WOT..........

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/how-plug-chop-38674/

leakdown tests (performed to ensure your motor is air leak proof)........

http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-parts-151/leak-down-tester-43284/

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/build-use-leakdown-tester-10663/

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/videos-how-perform-air-leakdown-test-31464/

bbk ???? stock carb???? closeup pics of each would help

^^^^^ maybe I should of done it the easy way.lol.links are goooooood.

Yes pictures would be the best way to determine what you are running . X2 on the maxima super M , that's the best stuff IMO .
Toss up some pictures of the blasty so we can check it out.
Easiest way is to make a free photobucket account and upload pictures to it . Then using the attach image icon on the reply box here , just copy and paste the HTML code to the picture and link it . It will show up in the reply .

pics of said hole, there is one of those on the kicker side, that if you stick a small wire into, you'll find it is indeed blocked off with casting
the oil inlet is on that side, up high, right in front of the airbox boot, it's about 1/8"

if those injection tubes are looped together, YOU MUST RUN MIX
32:1

Definitely am running premix, learned about that previously in another post. I see the hole blocked off by the casting, and then there is the threaded hole where the oil fitting would go just above it, and I see that is open. I previously thought it was plugged, but I didn't know much then...I don't now either, but I'm learning. I:I

Yes pictures would be the best way to determine what you are running . X2 on the maxima super M , that's the best stuff IMO .
Toss up some pictures of the blasty so we can check it out.
Easiest way is to make a free photobucket account and upload pictures to it . Then using the attach image icon on the reply box here , just copy and paste the HTML code to the picture and link it . It will show up in the reply .

I will get some more pics of the "Blasty" once I get it back together and running up to my extreme OCD and highly persnickety standards. In the mean time, I will save you the irritation because my stupid smart phone doesn't take the best pics....and I'm too cheap to buy an actual camera. 8-|

I will get some more pics of the "Blasty" once I get it back together and running up to my extreme OCD and highly persnickety standards. In the mean time, I will save you the irritation because my stupid smart phone doesn't take the best pics....and I'm too cheap to buy an actual camera. 8-|

Pics always make us happy, blurry pics to us are like the color red to a bull though. I:I

Pics always make us happy, blurry pics to us are like the color red to a bull though. I:I

LOL....bulls are color blind, so does that mean if a pic is blurry (red) or not (any other color) it really doesn't matter? :p Just saying. B) I couldn't resist, especially with all the sarcasm floating around. :D

LOL....bulls are color blind, so does that mean if a pic is blurry (red) or not (any other color) it really doesn't matter? :p Just saying. B) I couldn't resist, especially with all the sarcasm floating around. :D

you're catchin on quick for a newb !!!!

heres the oil injection linlet on the stock blasty 26mm mikuni carb,
it should be the only "open" hole on that side, normally we just use an 1/8th inch vacuum cap, if your's is missing the brass insert, and it's threaded ??? you'll need to find a screw to fit, and silicon it in there ??? or fill it with "quick steel" epoxy putty ???..............

dgkk2a.jpg

This is a test of the best picture of my carb and the port that is open, it is the port right under the carb cap. You can see the cylinder inside the carb, the shiny yellowish spot, this is the port I am questioning. It appears quite apparent too that my carb is different than the one AWK posted above, which that leads me back to asking....how do I know what carb I have? I will post another picture of the other side.

0324121859c.jpg
[/quote]

This is the other side of my carb, hoping it might help to identify it. Thanks. I'm not sure how to make the images smaller....I don't know HTML.

0324121858.jpg

by the looks of that choke set-up, that appears to be a mikuni "tm" series carb
measure the motor side inside diameter to see what size/mm it is

and so...when you actuate the cable to raise the slide, you can see it moving in that port, or is that shiny brass looking thingy just giving you the impression it's the slide ????

the image size is fine, and thats definately a 2 stroke carb, evidenced by the air screw at the back, versus a fuel screw at the front on 4 stroke carbs

by the looks of that choke set-up, that appears to be a mikuni "tm" series carb
measure the motor side inside diameter to see what size/mm it is

and so...when you actuate the cable to raise the slide, you can see it moving in that port, or is that shiny brass looking thingy just giving you the impression it's the slide ????

Engine side ID is 28.78. That "shiny brass looking thingy", X(, is definitely moving when I pull the cable. The picture below, you're all in trouble now that I know how to show the pics, will show that when I pull the cable to WFO, there is a ping mark on it. Definitely looks like a manufactured ping, not a mistake by someone dumber than me. And what about that black barbed fitting, is that maybe the oil injection fitting? Or would it be the green hose that is in the pick below?

0324122054.jpg