Oil flooding engine

kyle24

Jan 26, 2011
I just put on a vitas 240 kit and everything seemed good started up and idled for about twenty minutes then stalled took the plug out and I was covered in oil so I took the head off and noticed there was motor oil down where the crank is so I cleaned it out and it started up fine ran for a bit and stalled same thing oil on plug now if I started it and rev the engine it will flood in like seconds so does this mean I blew the oil seal and if so what kind of project am I lookin at to fix this

It sounds like a clutch side crank seal is gone.

Check your flywheel key while you have it down. Most of the time the reason the crank seal blows out (if it is actually totally blown out of the case) is because the flywheel key stripped and instead of the charge being burnt and rushing out of the exhaust port under pressure, the spark happens much later in the stroke and when it blows it pops the crankcase under extreme pressure and pushes the seal out.

You need an impact screwdriver, a set of outside snap ring pliers, an impact gun, a set of metric impact sockets, and possibly a clutch holding tool (it depends on how tight the nut in the middle of the inner clutch hub is and how much hammer your impact gun has)

You'll also probably need a flywheel puller and possibly a new key...

Well I accidentally filled the oil up all the way and forgot about it so I started the motor with a full trans of oil and it's not alot coming in the crank just enough to fluid when it idles for awhile or if I rev it it dies pretty quickly but when I take the jug off there isnt a huge amount of trans oil in the case

A case full of transmission fluid will blow a crank seal inwards. Sometimes they will seal back if you drain the transmission and refill with the proper amount of fluid.

The seal is double lipped to keep the pressure in and the transmission fluid out but if a full transmission case can make it leak, it's probably weak and needs to be replaced anyway.