OEM style wire terminals

79xs

Jul 21, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
I have made several full wiring harnesses for motorcycles and ATVs (mostly late 70s and 1980s motorcycles). A lot of it still applies to Blasters so I thought I would make a guide on using Blaster compatible crimp terminals. Everything shown below can be bought from either MikesXS.com or vintageconnections.com . Let me know if anyone finds this guide useful. I can make more harness/wiring related guides.

Below are some of the common connections you may see on a Blaster. We will be crimping the bottom two:
Crimps.jpg

We start out with a ratcheting crimping tool. The dies in this crimper are made just for this style terminal. You can buy it with the dies for around $30-$40

The-Crimper.jpg

Here are the male and female connections. Each has its own rubber seal.

Crimp-1.jpg

The far left side of the crimp is for the wire insulation. You want to strip off enough wire so the center crimp will hold it, but not so much that it sticks into the plug itself.
Wire-installed.jpg

Make sure you install the rubber seal BEFORE you crimp on the terminal.
Crimp-2.jpg

Put the terminal in the crimper and close it until it holds the terminal for you.
Crimp-3.jpg

Put the wire into the terminal.
Crimp-4.jpg

Look into the crimp and make sure you do not push the wire in too far. You want the center crimp to only catch the copper wire and not the insulation.
Crimp-5.jpg

Compress the crimper until it unlocks. Check out your work.
Crimp-6.jpg

Repeat the same steps for the female crimp.

All finished:
Crimp-9.jpg

Reactions: Awk08
good info bro, beats using unremoveable butt connectors, have some reps !!!!

looks good! that's a good alternative to the hard plastic covered spade connectors that I was going to use