Odd bogging issue

zjnovak

Aug 19, 2013
Well, let me start off by saying I'm new to the blaster forum. I've been reading on here for a while but now I'm stumped and actually have to post. I recently bought a 1993 Blaster for $300. When I showed up to look at it, he was having a really tough time starting it. 20 mins passed by, and he rolled it down a hill to bump start it. After it warmed up, it ran pretty well. I took her home and started it up the next morning (one kick, choke on). I drove to a trail pretty close to my house, and on my first lap I lost almost all power and then it eventually died. I pushed it back home, checked fuel level, and cleaned the spark plug. It fired up right away, and this time it ran WAY better than before. It was running so well that I ended up riding for over two hours. I came back home and my brother took it for a ride. He made it 300 yards or so before it did the exact same thing as before. This time, it wouldn't start back up. I put fresh premium gas in it and put a new spark plug in it too. It started, but had ridiculously bad bogging. Anything over 1/4 throttle would kill it. I slowly rolled the throttle and it went up pretty high in RPM's. However, if you rapidly hit the throttle, it would die. I've been trying all sorts of things the last four hours, but no such luck.

The bike is completely stock. 230 main jet/clean air filter/ new NGK plug. Top end was rebuilt within the last month. Last owner says he did a leak test and compression test.

I tried unplugging the TORS (one connector at the bars, one at the carb, and the little black box). That honestly made it worse, so I reversed it. I removed the carb, cleaned it out, and still didn't fix it. I also tried adjusting the air mixture screw. I also want to add that the spark wasn't the greatest. I would push the starter with my hand and there were maybe two or three sparks total. Not bright sparks either... very dim, faint sparks. I cut a half inch off the plug wire and checked coil connections. No luck.

I'm really stumped here. It was running PERFECT this morning, but now it runs like poo-poo. I tried including all necessary info. If I left something out, please let me know. I'm kind of getting desperate now, and want to get this solved. Thanks for help in advance.

Thank you for stating the problems, mods, and what you have done to fix it.

I know the PO said he did a compression and leakdown test. DON'T TAKE HIS WORD FOR IT. I would do these to tests first. Then report back. Could be cracked reeds, dirty carb, or weak spark. These are two tests that should be done anyway and will help you diagnose the problem.

I think I was looking at a good writeup earlier about a leakdown test. I'll have to go back and look at it.

There is definitely weak spark. Is this where I should be looking? Or continue to look for leaks? It seems like most electrical parts for these quads are fairly cheap compared to the last honda I had.

Also, if there were a leak, would it have been running really good before? Or is it something that could be on and off?

14mqc1y.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I was looking at a good writeup earlier about a leakdown test. I'll have to go back and look at it.

There is definitely weak spark. Is this where I should be looking? Or continue to look for leaks? It seems like most electrical parts for these quads are fairly cheap compared to the last honda I had.

Also, if there were a leak, would it have been running really good before? Or is it something that could be on and off?

Before you do anything to these motors those two tests should be done. If you have an air leak it will cause you headaches and a lot of money.

I think I found the problem. Today I pulled the carb off to inspect the reeds. One of them were cracked off and hardly sitting in the reed cage. They all look old and brittle, so I will order some OEM reeds to get me by (until I buy better ones). I can try to stop at home depot this weekend and make a leak tester. Anybody know the symptoms of a faulty reed? Was this likely the problem?

Take your carb off and check the jets. If the pilot is clogged it will idle like crap, if the other jets are clogged it will bog down and die when you crack the throttle. You can slow roll the throttle and it will get up in the Rpms because the whole is clogged, so when you crack it, it doesn't get the gas it needs and will die