not sure whats wrong

97blastermx130

Apr 26, 2011
Evansville, IN
I recently bought a 97 blaster, after having it for 2 weeks and riding it everyday i was riding it one night and it died on me and every since then i havent been able to get it running again. I have taken the carb apart and cleaned it several times. Checked all of my lines to make sure they were cleaned, there was one thing. The gear plate on the counter balancer came off and got bent up pretty bad from the others gears, I took that gear off tried to start it and it would start for maybe 10 seconds then die, I would keep kicking it and wouldnt get anything. The guy I bought it from said it was bored idk how much and idk if he rejetted the carb after or not. I have tried everything that i know to get this quad running I can't figure anything out. If you would have a clue I would greatly appreciate it, thank you Corey

have you try'd a new plug and give the reeds a look ????
but you've got bigger problems if gears are falling off breaking sh*t

Yes i've taken the reeds out and checked them, they were in good condition. it has a new plug and good spark. it was only the plate that went over the gear, kind of like a washer

everything is stock besides an aftermarket fmf powercore 2 exhaust, and new stock breather. im not forsure on the jets, idk how to check them?

Well you cleaned the carb didn't you?

Turn the fuel off, Take the carb off......turn it sideways and unscrew the 4 screws on the bottom float bowl cover. The float bowl cover will pop off. From here you will see the carb float(black thing) and white retainer. In the center of the retainer is a brass colored hex shaped jet.....this is your main jet. The numbers should be stamped on the end of the jet or on the side. Your pilot jet is down a little tube where that white retainer came off. You will notice the white retainer has a little plastic part that sticks out and slides down that tube. When you look down the carb tube, you will see a tiny little flathead screw.....when you unscrew it with a little screwdriver and turn the carb over it will just fall out. That is your pilot jet. Simple as can be. The only difficult part is the getting the carb back on and off the intake boots with a TORS system still in place. Knowing how to clean and inspect carbs is more important than even knowing how to ride one.

you're running lean then. if it has been run like that this whole time then your topend is probably toast. time for a compression test followed by a leakdown test to weed out any possible air leaks. then bump that main up to at least 270. i think that's what fmf suggest.

doubt you will get it to start if it's toast. could possibly try to roll start it.

Yes I got all of that, the main is 230 and pilot is 32.5, I just dont know where this clip is on the needle?

The retard you bought it off of didn't rejet the carb.....I hate dumb f*cks like that. It probably ran like sh*t and you fried the top end since it's running WAAAAY too lean. You can buy a compression tester at a local AutoZone or Amazon. Don't even bother trying to start it. Check the compression.......my guess is the piston is completely scorched and the cylinder walls are. You will have to get a top end rebuild and it generally runs around $150, so it's not that bad.

As a side note, I love people that won't spend $5 and 5 minutes to rejet a carb because they are afraid of doing it, so instead they find it's easier to fry a top end, blow $150 and a week's worth of time rebuilding the top end and breaking it in.

The previous owner was obviously a tard and a half. I will say though as the current owner, you need to take responsibility and realize you should NEVER trust some idiot that you buy something from unless you KNOW they have rejetted the carb PROPERLY.......which just about nobody knows how to do anymore nowadays. Live and learn. You will just know now to check it.

Man alive I can't win with this wheeler. So what should my first step be? to get a compression test and check all that. How do I check the piston to see if it's scorched? If so then would I need the blocked homed and what size piston should I get? Sorry all the ignorence, this is the first time I've bought a 2 stroke that wasn't already set up RIGHT! Lol so now im the one left with all the mess cause of another mans stupidity.

As a side note, I love people that won't spend $5 and 5 minutes to rejet a carb because they are afraid of doing it, so instead they find it's easier to fry a top end, blow $150 and a week's worth of time rebuilding the top end and breaking it in.

The previous owner was obviously a tard and a half. I will say though as the current owner, you need to take responsibility and realize you should NEVER trust some idiot that you buy something from unless you KNOW they have rejetted the carb PROPERLY.......which just about nobody knows how to do anymore nowadays. Live and learn. You will just know now to check it.

Lol now I gotta spend more money on fixing the damn thing then I did buying it, but yes lesson learned and more knowledge! Thanks a lot for the help, I've been stumped.

Man alive I can't win with this wheeler. So what should my first step be? to get a compression test and check all that. How do I check the piston to see if it's scorched? If so then would I need the blocked homed and what size piston should I get? Sorry all the ignorence, this is the first time I've bought a 2 stroke that wasn't already set up RIGHT! Lol so now im the one left with all the mess cause of another mans stupidity.

Well my first step out of curiosity would be to take the gas tank off, take the plug out, and move the piston up towards top dead center and look at the piston from above. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a hole in it. If there isn't I bet there is a lot of pitting on the plug and the piston is really beat up. Actually, since I mentioned that, can you take a picture of the plug when you take it out? That will tell you a lot.

From there, buy a comp tester online or via an Autozone, put into the spark plug hole......make sure the rubber gasket seals when you thread it in, then kick the engine over while holding the throttle wide open......always helps to just disconnect the air intake as well for a more accurate reading.

Keep in mind, if you take the plug out and it is pitted and has shards of aluminium on it and/or the piston has a hole in it, there is no need to do a compression test since you already know the top end is fried so a compression test is just wasting your time.

that pretty much covered it...............
visual inspection of the piston thru the plug hole,
compression test if it passed the first,
leakdown test to eliminate major airleaks
check for good blue spark,
check for fuel flow, the line outta the petcock, then thru the carb drain,
check the float levels if fuel isnt flowing outta the carb drain, possibly tap the carb bowl with a screwdriver handle, floats may be stuck ???

you're gonna have to pick this apart one at a time, eliminating possibles as you go

are you mixing the fuel or running the stock oil injection ???
if the first, is the carb oil line inlet plugged ???

eliminate some of these and report back with the results
and 270 main at least for that fmf, compression and leakdown tests, before ever trying to start it again

the very bottom link below, under my signature pic, has some other troubleshooting/maintenece tips

There are no air leaks that I know of, has good compression and good spark. It has good gas flow. It still has the stock oil injection. Also I just ordered a new jet kit from ebay, a Vito's jet kit. Should I put in the 290 main jet and the 30 pilot jet?

nope, and you should have ask us that question before buying that vito's junk, the 290 is the smallest jet in there, and is too big for your needs, return it for a refund as soon as it arrives, and just get a 270 main jet for a few bucks at the local dealers

and only the most modded motors out there need to fool with the pilot, a stock 32.5 pilot is just right for that carb at idle,

and how do you "none that i know of " if there are airleaks or not ?????
it takes a leakdown tester to know for sure, they could be internal

wait do you have a fmf header pipe like the fatty right off the cylinder or just the powercore 2 silencer? what was your compression? did you do a leakdown test?