Not Starting

johnsonsf8878

Feb 13, 2010
Maine
Hello Everyone!

I am new here as I a few weeks ago I purchased my first Blaster. I wanted a winter project so I purchase a 01 Blaster. The engine that was in it needed the top end rebuilt. I rebuilt the top end on it with a stock jug I found with a new stock piston. It started and ran fine for a couple days. When using it yesterday it suddenly died like it was getting no fuel. I thought seeing how it had been sitting for some time period the carb was clogged. So I took it apart and cleaned it all out. Well needless to say it still is not starting. I checked the reed valve which is working normally. It is getting compression but just seems like its getting no fuel. Not sure what to do next. Should I try to rebuild the carb?

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am kind of lost.

Did you break it properly?

Are them any mods done to it, are you using the oil injection or premix?

Try taking the gas line off the carb with the gas off and get a little bottle and turn the gas on and check the flow. Your petcock (haha) could be clogged.

It was in the process of breaking in that it did that. I know fuel is getting into the bowl as the carb has gas when I take it off. I did try and clean out every thing possible. Including the petcock! lol Plus the only mod was an aftermarket exhaust which was on it when I bought it.

You should check the jetting to see if the previouse owner changed them with the pipe. If not you are most likely running lean. I know you said you checked the reed valve but did you pull the cage out and inspect the reeds they need to be flat on the cage with no gaps between the reeds and the cage.

Yeah the reeds look good as far as I can tell. I would think that it would at least run if it was running lean. I think I am going to try rebuilding the carb unless I can get another suggestion.

I'd say just give the carb a good cleaning again, check the pilot and main jets to make sure they are not clogged, along with checking the needle. If you have an air compressor you could try blow some air through the ports in the carb just to make sure they are all opened up and working right.

is the little metal cap snug on top of your plug? i had one rattle loose once and killed my engine like i wasnt getting gas....

make sure you didnt have a wicked air leak and leaned out your motor. It can happen sorta fast if the leak is bad enough. take the reed cage off and insepct them very good looking for cracks or chips, if not take a peek thru and look at the piston to see if its all scared up.

Yeah Piston still looks good as far as I can see in there. I am wondering about air issues though I may try to tighten everything up though to see if that helps

Grounds? It is getting spark so that shouldn't be an issue. Yeah I do need to check that everything is tight so I will check that as well.

Yeah Piston still looks good as far as I can see in there. I am wondering about air issues though I may try to tighten everything up though to see if that helps

Hey also try a little black RVT gasket maker on both sides of the intake gaskets upper and lower, i had to do this even with all new gaskets when i got my vforce3 reeds. After that she was air tight, another good thing to have is a leak tester anytime you have the jug off I:I

Okay will try to re-torque everything and make sure I have no air leaks. I think I am going to rebuild the carb as well. Might as well do it anyway even if that is not the issue.