Noob with a transmission question

lokifalkor

Oct 26, 2019
Hi everyone. yes - I have searched on this and watched the videos. I got a 'free' 98 Blaster and so far have close to 500 in it trying to get it together. lol. I had to put a crank in (and crank bearings, seals, etc...) it so I split the case. In the middle of reassembly now and having an issue with the transmission. I got it with the cylinder off so I do not know how it ran previously. there was however not enough oil in it on disassembly.
  • I pre-lubed the transmission areas with grease/oil where specified in the service manual
  • All the shift forks have the number (1,2,3) pointing left.
  • The forks do not look bent and no missing teeth or blocks on the gears
  • When I put the cases together the shift drum turns smooth through all gears w/o the stopper lever installed while rotating the star wheel.
  • The star wheel is keyed, however the key and groove are fine. The torx screw is tight.
  • The shift shaft is not bent - rolled it on a piece of glass.
  • all parts were scrubbed in a pail with diesel fuel. it's pretty spotless in there.
If I put the stopper against the star wheel I have a lot of trouble shifting from 1-n-2 and really cannot access any other gears (I am spinning the output shaft). I think once it went all the way up. if I pull the stopper off the drum selects gears fine. this is w/o the shift shaft in too.

Any ideas?

By "stopper" are you referring to the roller that holds it in the proper position for the gears? and are you trying to turn the shift star by hand or with the shift shaft?

By "stopper" are you referring to the roller that holds it in the proper position for the gears? and are you trying to turn the shift star by hand or with the shift shaft?
Hi, yes I mean the roller when I say stopper. Stopper is how it was labeled in the service manual so I used that. Also, with the roller attached it's the same issue when trying with the shift shaft (gear selector shaft) or when using a screw driver across the pins in the star wheel. Again, drum turns fine without roller attached and all gears accessable.

Hey
Hi, yes I mean the roller when I say stopper. Stopper is how it was labeled in the service manual so I used that. Also, with the roller attached it's the same issue when trying with the shift shaft (gear selector shaft) or when using a screw driver across the pins in the star wheel. Again, drum turns fine without roller attached and all gears accessable.
then this is normal if you are not turning the rear wheels (if you have the chain on) because it’s a lot of moving parts and it needs some movement to shift

But... I did say I was turning the output shaft while shifting. this would simulate the rear wheels turning no?

But... I did say I was turning the output shaft while shifting. this would simulate the rear wheels turning no?
Depends how much you are turning it, and make sure it is in the proper direction. can you get it to move at all with the stopper on? Do you think you could get a picture of the stopper on it?

If the stopper and it's return spring are on correctly I would proceed and not worry too much about how it feels by hand

I put the stopper back on and the shift shaft and had a thought.... the rail that the 1 and 3 shift forks slide on comes through the right case and the shift fork return spring rides against it. look at the two pictures - is the slide
If the stopper and it's return spring are on correctly I would proceed and not worry too much about how it feels by hand
yeah - that's about where I', at with it right now. it's really not a hard motor to pull out if there's still an issue. Will let you know what happens.