Noob in MN

pitz0022

Feb 3, 2012
Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum. I've got a Honda Rincon which I use for hunting and ice fishing, but i"m looking for another machine so my wife can go with and do a little trail riding. I'm thinking a blaster is about perfect. I'm looking at CL in Minneapolis are there are two available right now that may interest me. I'm looking for some feedback on pricing and which mods are good and which are not so good.
Machine #1 looks clean and he is asking $750. Looks mostly stock with the front wheels turned inside out.
2000 Yamaha Blaster, in good shape, Bought it for my wife, and as we had a baby, she said she won't ride it again! It has sat sense last year because she lost the key(only thing wrong with it!)
200cc Oil Injected (2 cycle) 6 speed (No Revers) Only has a Kick start!
I'm asking $750 or best offer!​

Machine #2 has some mods and extras which in the little research I have done seem like maybe they were in good taste.
I have a 2001 Yamaha blaster, 200cc, 6 speed manual.

The Top end was rebuilt 15 hours ago, with .5mm wiseco piston back in september. I just rebuilt the rear break and put a new break pad on it.

The baster has alot of extras on it
FULL FMF fatty exhaust with power core 2 spark arestor
4 gallon gas tank
Full aluminum rear skid plate
Rear razr tires
K&N filter
28mm keihin carb race carb
Aftermarket front bumper
Aftermarket rear grab bar
LED taillight
14/40 sprocket
Oil injection block off (I have been using lucas synthetic 2 stroke oil at 32 to 1)
3/4" Bar raisers

And a bunch of spare parts and extras

V Force carbon fiber reeds (havent gotten around to installing them)
Snow/sand paddel tires with rims
2 Front spindel with breaks
one rear hub
full set of electronics, stator and whatnot
Maier front red nose plastic
Boost bottle
Rear and front sprocket
stock gas tank with black or blue cover
Extra seat
and a few more extras

Runs great and sounds nice

$1050

Thoughts on these two machines, the mods and the pricing? I'm looking to keep my investment low, but if I'm going to end up modding it anyhow, i would pay a little more for one that has already been modded. I'm not in a hurry and i like projects so I could just keep watching for a cheap one with a blown engine or something this spring. Thanks for any input.

pitz

welcome to BF bro !!!!!

if your lookin to mod anyway, no way you could add new, what the second one already has done to it for the price, and the dude seems to know what he' talkin about too.

but ya can't go wrong with a running stock bike for under $800 either

i'd grab the modded one

Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum. I've got a Honda Rincon which I use for hunting and ice fishing, but i"m looking for another machine so my wife can go with and do a little trail riding. I'm thinking a blaster is about perfect. I'm looking at CL in Minneapolis are there are two available right now that may interest me. I'm looking for some feedback on pricing and which mods are good and which are not so good.
Machine #1 looks clean and he is asking $750. Looks mostly stock with the front wheels turned inside out.
2000 Yamaha Blaster, in good shape, Bought it for my wife, and as we had a baby, she said she won't ride it again! It has sat sense last year because she lost the key(only thing wrong with it!)
200cc Oil Injected (2 cycle) 6 speed (No Revers) Only has a Kick start!
I'm asking $750 or best offer!​

Machine #2 has some mods and extras which in the little research I have done seem like maybe they were in good taste.
I have a 2001 Yamaha blaster, 200cc, 6 speed manual.

The Top end was rebuilt 15 hours ago, with .5mm wiseco piston back in september. I just rebuilt the rear break and put a new break pad on it.

The baster has alot of extras on it
FULL FMF fatty exhaust with power core 2 spark arestor
4 gallon gas tank
Full aluminum rear skid plate
Rear razr tires
K&N filter
28mm keihin carb race carb
Aftermarket front bumper
Aftermarket rear grab bar
LED taillight
14/40 sprocket
Oil injection block off (I have been using lucas synthetic 2 stroke oil at 32 to 1)
3/4" Bar raisers

And a bunch of spare parts and extras

V Force carbon fiber reeds (havent gotten around to installing them)
Snow/sand paddel tires with rims
2 Front spindel with breaks
one rear hub
full set of electronics, stator and whatnot
Maier front red nose plastic
Boost bottle
Rear and front sprocket
stock gas tank with black or blue cover
Extra seat
and a few more extras

Runs great and sounds nice

$1050

Thoughts on these two machines, the mods and the pricing? I'm looking to keep my investment low, but if I'm going to end up modding it anyhow, i would pay a little more for one that has already been modded. I'm not in a hurry and i like projects so I could just keep watching for a cheap one with a blown engine or something this spring. Thanks for any input.

pitz

Second one, Take a compression tester with you, see what it has, even if it all checks out I'd go $200 less than asking price, Cash talks!! Would do more than a g! if it's solid and runs good!

Welcome to the dirt pile!

If it was me and my girl wanted to ride, I'd get her a honda 250ex.....which is basically a recon in a sport-quad body. As reliable as any machine, shaft drive, reverse, no clutch, electric start, quiet. A 2004-2006 can be found for $1100-$1500 in my area. Find one that's not beat, reverse the front rims and add good rear flat-top tires for the extra stability most ladies seem to need.....and your lady will be happy.

Of course, if your girl can ride then forget the above and go for the blaster. They're super fun to ride, easy to mod, and easy on the wallet.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input guys. This will be my machine to ride when the wife goes with me. She's happy riding the automatic Rincon (very conservatively). I'm looking for a little more adrenaline rush. I'll stick with the rincon for hauling my hunting gear and just use this machine for trail riding on logging trails.

Can anybody tell me what stock compression is on a blaster? Will that change as you bore over .5mm (or would it be .050 inches?)

Also, what is stock gearing on a Blaster, #2 machine specifies 14/40 sprockets. Is that for more top end or lower gearing?

stock compression should be in the 120-135 range
anything close to or under 100psi will need at least new rings/hone soon.
bore size will not increase compression, only a modified/shave head will

stock gearing is 13/40
a lot of guys go to 14 40 for higher speed, or use of 18" tires
i tried 14/40 and did not like it for the trails i ride, i found myself downshifting alot, even though it added what felt like 10+ mph top speed,

I do see one thing wrong with the second ad. The powercore two silencer does not have a spark arrestor from the factory. But he might have made a homemade one or added one. just thought i would let you know. but i would take the second one.

awsome input guys, thanks. I've been stalling on this as I research a little more. I don't want to waste the guys time if I'm not sure I really want it. It looks like if I move into a 2003+ I get into a different body style with the headlight moulded into the hood and hydrolic disk brakes. Are these things pretty much all the same from 06 all the way back with those exceptions? I've seen some older ones that dont' have headlights at all. I need a light. I'm just wondering if it is worth waiting for a deal on a little newer one? It seems these don't hold their value all that well, or maybe they were just inexpensive, even brand new?

Here's one example of what I"m looking at. This looks like it may have a few issues such as a bent front bumper, but might be worth looking into?
2004 yamaha blaster fresh topend rebuilt in good condition. possible trade for rm,cr,yz 125 or 250 dirtbike

Attachments

• blaster2004.jpg
    blaster2004.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 128