No Reverse

mine almost smoked that bad after sitting for alot of years once i started riding the hell out of it it quit smoking. only time i ever had it run backwards is when i was doing some massive hill climbs and it stalled on me and i baled and as it was rolling down the hill backwards it started itself didn't actually try driving it once i caught up to it i hit the kill switch but it was running away backwards. have you tried push starting it maybe they got something in backwards with the kickstarter don't know if it's possible but it's all i got...

Well this thing has sat for aleast 5yrs, so hopefully that is why it smokes I will deal with that once I get it to go fwd, but finding a solutionnow would be helpfull. I dont have a lage enough hill or man power to bump it, but I did get it running in nuetral and pushed it jammed it into 1st and it felt like it jerked backwards and stalled. I'll get my boy to tow me with the tractor and get back to ya. The kicker itself looks to be installed right as far as I can tell. Thank you much

WOW that kid is good riding in reverse.

If the engine is running in reverse then the spark plug must be firing when the piston is near bottom dead center, to send the piston the wrong way. :-/

CDI unit controls timing, retard and advance of the spark with engine rpm. A cdi from another bike may plug in but timing for spark could be off, just a thought. Also if the cdi is f@#ked it may throw the timing off but test ok other wise. The thing about the fly wheel with different yrs could be a possibility but idk if there is or isn't a differance between yrs, 03 and newer had changes, but unsure of all changes other than cosmetic.

mine almost smoked that bad after sitting for alot of years once i started riding the hell out of it it quit smoking. only time i ever had it run backwards is when i was doing some massive hill climbs and it stalled on me and i baled and as it was rolling down the hill backwards it started itself didn't actually try driving it once i caught up to it i hit the kill switch but it was running away backwards. have you tried push starting it maybe they got something in backwards with the kickstarter don't know if it's possible but it's all i got...

i think he said as he was kicking it it was going the right way but once it was started it went the other way

It has to be timing. A fairly quick thing you can do is to slot the stator and turn it some to change timing. I think it is firing way early. The first time the plug sparks it kicks piston backwards. If it fires way before TDC than I can see it spinning the other way and keep running. Retard the hell out of it and see what happens.

There are some problems here I'm not understanding.
It is impossible to kick it forward and it runs in reverse.
The exception would be it kickin back but that is a rare occurrence not an everyday thing.
The CDI as long as it's from any Blasty should have nothing to do with it.
Your timing is way off or you have the wrong flywheel.
This is assuming the key is intact.

thank to all that gave ideas but hotrodaj 2 had the winning ide. i retarded the sh*t out off it and it finally went FWD sweeeeeeeet. thank you all again. now just have to tune it in.

There are some problems here I'm not understanding.
It is impossible to kick it forward and it runs in reverse.
The exception would be it kickin back but that is a rare occurrence not an everyday thing.
The CDI as long as it's from any Blasty should have nothing to do with it.
Your timing is way off or you have the wrong flywheel.
This is assuming the key is intact.

I was refering to cdi off some other bike other than a blaster, then the igniton timing could easly be off from a blaster because of different flywheels. I only sugested it as a possibility if it wasn't stock.

If it is stock then by retarding the timing allows it to run normal than the cdi might be stuck in full advance allowing it to run backwards because of slow cycling speed of the crank when starting. Hence you might need a new cdi. If you could borrow a cdi from another blasty, it could confirm this. just my thought on this

so you are basically saying i should replace the cdi and that what I have done is just a temp fix or confirming a bad cdi? I dont know anyone around lancaster pa that has a blasty. Lets say I wanted a new cdi, what kind and from where ( hot shot ?) I know I dont want oem if Im going to spend the money. Thanks

so basically that was just a temp fix, and I should replace the cdi? I dont know anyone in Lancaster Pa with a blaster . So what kind should I get a hot shot? Thanks

I'm glad to help, every question I've had has been answered buy someone on this site. It saved me time and money, just return the favor and help someone else here when you gain some blaster knowledge. I'm just stoked that another blasty is on the road. I still dont know how they even got the timing off that much.

I keep asking myself the same question. How can a vehicle that has standard timing be off by 90plus deg, or was that just a tire patch to something greater like a cdi box. I would love for someone to confirm that before I spend $100 bucks. Thanks

What about the two coils being switched on the stator plate? Could that have caused it to be that far out of timing?

All my coils r on the right sides. I do have a guy telling me to split the case that more than likely it's something inside. What do ya all think about this? Don't want to if I don't have to. Thanks

Well, I'm not sure if splitting the case will tell you anything. The crank and stator are the problem I think but I dont see what splitting case will tell you. You can see TDC without splitting. I'm not sure how you can get the timing dead on now. 8 degrees off can be bad. A good engine builder could figure that out though. Good luck. R u ridn it yet?