Newb needs shock advice?

Wojo

Nov 29, 2009
So. i picked up a blaster and have been slowly redoing it. ive stripped and painted the frame.... etc. i extended the swing arm to a +6 and now im looking for a new shock. the rear one now and before i extended the swing arm would bottom out. i am 6'4" and 280 lbs. i know im a big guy. but i bought this quad for 100 bucks just to do some trail riding with and i just need a shock that can hold my big ass up. ive looked at the 400ex and yfz450 shocks on ebay. but i dont know if they wil be stiff enough for my weight. let me know what you guys would recommend. thanks alot

the yfz450 shock is more friendly for the bigger riders...
and people who have used the yfz shock loved it!!
the 400ex shock is the most popular one because it doesnt really raise the back end of the quad up where as the yfz shock will lift the rear end of the quad about 2inches with the stock swinger...

well being as i have the +6 swinger i have tons of room to mount the shock to get the ride height i want. or is there a specific angle the shock needs to be mounted at. or would it be best to do something like a lowering kit for the YZF450 shock

just remember when your mounting the bottom mount for the shock that the more angle you put on the shock the softer it will be and the easier it will bottom out

ok thanks for the help. sounds like the 450 shock is the way to go for me?? unless there is any other shocks that im missing that i havent seen

the trx450r shock i have required cutting the front kicker side plastics mount off the frame, the rezzie sits offset to that side, and the bottom right airbox screw was rubbing a hole in it, a cfm airbox cured that, just some things to consider for that particular shock

yeah guys. i used the YFZ450 shock. its still to soft. im not sure why. it squats to the point of almost bottoming out. stiffening it to the fullest helped some. but. not alot. i need to find out how to do a dual rate conversion to it. stiffen it up some more. theres a guy on here who did it. just dont know how he did or where he got the parts.

at your weight, that +6 swinger is really compounding the leverage on the shock,
lets see some fabbin skills and put 2 yfz450 shocks side by side??????

haha thatd be sick. i might just raise the ass end some more so i have a lil travel before hitting my fenders.