New top end , new problems

dustin lafeir

Apr 8, 2014
Ohio
I rebuilt the top end on my 02 blaster and still boggs out and sputters bad . I got a new namura piston and gaskets . I still need a airfilter but even without the airfilter it shouldnt be doing this . It will start after 2-8 kicks . Sometimes it will idle , but then dyes after a little bit . If you give it any gas it boggs out and dies . Can i get some help ???

IF.....it was jetted correctly before, it is now running very lean without the airfilter.
i'd wait till you get a filter and start over.

has the carb been cleaned ?
TORS removed ?
airscrew set ? 1.5 turns out to start.
good blue spark ?
new plug ? they can foul quickly
reeds good condition ? no cracks/chips
leakdown tested ?

most of those mentioned above have threads on performing/testing in the stickies at the top of the engine and DIY sections on here. if you need specific help with any, let us know

Was it bored, if so was it matched to the piston? If not was it measured for out-of-round and taper?

The bores stock , i cleaned the carb and i found a reallllly bad leak on the exhaust, the spark plug sparks between blue and yellow , could that be part of the problem if its just slightly yellow ?

Yeah its in there right , the carb floats stuck now and gas is coming out of the drainage tube . I think that might be a start to the problem

Clean the carb again, paying attention to the pilot jet, adjust the float level!

While you have the carb off, test the engine for air leaks.

If no leaks, fit an air filter, new plug, provided you have a good spark at the correct time, problem solved.

When it starts, 3-5 heat cycles and re tension head and cylinder nuts.

clean pilot jet
compression test:)
02 carb with text 1 1 1.jpg