New top end New Ignition system Week upper RPM

Stevo87

Mar 24, 2013
Hey Guys,
I have been looking for an answer to this for a little bit i have a blaster 2002 bought from a kid.
i got a new top end in it fresh bore .60 over with new piston and rings.

entirely new Ignition system, New coil CDI and Stator ectt.. now the kid i purchase this quad from ripped every thing apart. i have been chasing down stupid problems since.

The quad starts and runs well but it has no mid to upper rpm power at all. revs out slow. did this before the new top end as well.

There is no Air lid on the Air box.
dg exhuast pipe.

i have re-jetted the carb tried a 240 jet in it and it current has a 275 jet in it.

still no difference. any ideas on what this can be??

reeds looked good i had new gaskets with sealer between the head and the intake boot.
cleaned the carb several times. no luck.

any ideas on what can cause this ??

can some thing like this be as simple as getting an air lid for it ? i am not to concerned for the Maximum power but i want it to run correctly. This is a quad my girl friend uses but i like to jump on it and rip around on it some times as well and i love the upper rpms.

my uncle had a blaster 100% stock and i remember is use to rip pretty good but this thing is a dog on a hot summer day

A leak test is advised, to make sure it is air tight.

#270 main is where you should be, needle on middle clip.

Check the float level, adjust the idle and plug chop to confirm jetting.

Is the plug cap new or have you ohmed existing one? The coil mount to frame must be clean bare metal, or even better is running a seperate ground from coil back to engine. Maybe ohm switches also.

Also, is the TORS brain (box) unplugged or properly disable for 03+ ? Parking brake?

i have a tors eliminator kit on the bike as well

the exhaust moves a good amount of air threw threw the silencer but ill check for a nest

all mounting points for the ignition is cleaned to bear metal that was the first problem when i got the quad and the reason why i replaced the whole ignition system

yes plug boot is brand new as well came with ignition coil

i will double check the float as well

i should be able to get around to doing something today with the quad if not i ll keep you guys posted in a few days and ill keep an eye out for any body else new ideas

i was playing with the quad today and i didn't have time to adjust anything but it kept dying out on me after a little bit and a few seconds later would start up and run again.

i am leaning towards the float being adjusted to low witch i will play around with in the next day or two

i will keep you guys posted thank you for all the input as well.

alright messed with the floats and that seems to be the issue. the quad use to run good before i did a top end but now after i adjusted the float.

one time the entire carb inside was soaked and the quad kept dying out on me after maybe 1-2 minutes of idling.

i played with the floats again and the it still dies out. i have adjusted floats before but this quad must hate me. its giving me so many issues.

any tips on adjusting the float? i usually just blow threw the inlet tube and have the air stop coming out around mid- top of the float travel

any other ideas? some times it revs up nice but then starts to get boggy again. no sputtering but just like musshy throttle and then dies down slowly.

Leak test, Leak test, Leak test.

Float level should 20 to 21.5mm on a stock carby.

7580-user5502-pic7361-1341402759.jpg

7362-float-tang.jpg

you want to turn the carb and hold it on a slight angle to measure the float height, like shown here......

24dn86f.jpg

it should just barely be touching the inner needle, not depressing it,
holding it pefrectly horizontal like your pic shows may allow the needle to be depressed giving false measurements

thats the exact diagram i used to do the float adjustment. i will check today for leaks. maybe give the head bolts a quarter turn tighter also.

thats the exact diagram i used to do the float adjustment. i will check today for leaks. maybe give the head bolts a quarter turn tighter also.

Tension them to 20 ft lb, do not just give them a yank tighter.X(

There is an annealed copper gasket in there that requires the proper tensioning.I:I