New to the quad world

There are many 2 stroke oils that people run and will tell you is better than the others but it really doesn't matter. They all work great. I personally just run Yamalube because the dealer wouldn't sell it if it wasn't made to run off it. My dad's 88 has gone 28 years on yamalube and only on his 3rd top end and rebuilt the bottom once so I know it's good stuff. Yamalube comes in 2S for the injection models and 2R if you are premixing

There are great youtube vids on how to delete the oil injection. That would also help in finding out if it's all there.
Here is one by Ken O'Connor Racing (the go to for any blaster work ever needed) where he shows how to remove it but you get a good idea of all the internals to make sure its functional. The one he has they just plugged the line and he removes it and puts on the block off plate.

I looked at the oil system today and spun everything by hand. It seems to be working correctly and I plan on leaving it on. The previous owner had mixed fuel in there so I will drain that in the morning. The carb has a 230 and a 32.5 for jets in it. After new plug and clean carb is installed I will put fresh fuel in there and set the air screw.

I rebuilt my first carb today! I've never done it before but it didn't seem to be that hard actually.

Attachments

• IMG_3127.JPG
    IMG_3127.JPG
    921.3 KB · Views: 195
I also built a leak down tester. It holds 100+psi so it shouldn't be an issue for the 7psi that Im going to be using lol

Attachments

• IMG_3128.JPG
    IMG_3128.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 183
Don't run it until you change your main jet, it's to small for the mods/exhaust you have. Get yourself a few genuine mikuni main jets say sizes 260-300. Also get a few new B8es spark plugs so you can plug chop. Don't worry,, if you can take apart a carb and put it back together correctly ,than you should have no problem doing a proper plug chop.

In short,, its just a way to confirm you are jetted correctly. If jetted to lean than boom, to rich than you lose power and foul plugs. Allot of us like to be just a tad rich for piece of mind and other reasons, but the last thing you want is to be jetted to lean..

Reactions: Atlas
Start your quad, warm it up. Once it's warm pull the plug out and replace it with a brand new plug. Start it back up and immediately go a full throttle pull. Make sure it's full throttle for about 15 seconds, don't let off (hold the brake to put it under a load if you have to. You will need a long stretch to go full throttle for 15 seconds). After 15 seconds of a full throttle pull, pull the clutch and kill the engine and let it roll to a stop. Pull the plug out and put your other plug you had in it back in. Take the plug you did the full throttle pull with and chop the treads off exposing the smoke ring. If it's a light cardboard color than you're good. If it's too dark, you're rich and need to drop your main a size or 2, if it's almost white still, you are lean and need to go up on the main

Reactions: Atlas
I appreciate the info. I will go buy some more plugs. Would a local shop have those jets or do I need to buy off the interwebs?

Well I swapped out the fuel and did a leak down test. There was a lot of oil on the exhaust port. Anyways I tried to start it with new fuel. It tried once and wouldn't even try after that so I have no idea what's going on.

First things first. Did you prime the oil injection system? We don't want you to fry it within the first minute after start up so maybe it's a good thing it didn't start.. Once the injection system is primed and kept full of oil, you most likely won't have any issues with it. That is unless you roll it over, get dirt in there, let it dry up etc... Let's just make sure it's pumping oil before your next start up and well go from there..

Jets can be ordered from all kinds of places. The cheapest seems to be jet r us or sometimes e bay.. Just be sure they are genuine Mikuni.

I'll post you some links on priming the injection system and also a link on how to do a proper plug chop. Nick20555 gave a good short version on explaining but bill try to get you one with pics since it will help explaining the procedure...

Maybe someone has a couple of these links available ?

Thanks for the info on priming. I did the first part but not where you fill the line from the pump to carb. When I pulled the carb back off there was a little oil in the carb but I will be sure to prime everything. I really appreciate everyone's help with this.

I did come to the decision that I will be doing the oil injection delete. I just want to make sure that it's done right. I did find out I need to adjust my floats in the carb too