new to me blaster (im very frusterated)

Vermont Woods

Feb 10, 2010
Ok so I traded for this blaster... I was told it needed a throttle cable and a good carb cleaning because it ran a little rough from sitting outside under a tarp for 6 months. I got it home cleaned the carb and installed the new cable. I got it running, some days it starts first kick other it takes 10 kicks, and some days I can't even get it going. Since I'm not very advanced mechanically I decided to bring it to my local shop. For what I thought would be a good "one over" or "tune up". First they did a compression test, and tore the carb apart again, and removed the spark plug. Well the compression test results came back low at a max of 110 (so that's why sometimes it takes a while to start) the reason it ran rough he said was because when he removed the spark plug he found shards of aluminum. He said its probably going to need a rebuild and told me it probably wouldn't be worth the amount of money or even his time to fix it. So we pulled the plug. My question is where do I go from here? Should I pay someone to do a bore job on it? Get a vitos 240 kit, or buy a new (well used but new to me) motor that runs with zero problems? The quad has tons of mods on it and would be a shame to part out... I want to keep and fix it if possible, just don't know which route to go, any help would be great! Thanks so much.

well shards of alluminium is not good at all, thats telling you things are BAD inside...

BUT, it is never not worth it, it ius always fixable and the best things about blasters is that fixing them is cheap and easy compared to other bikes.

You could do some stripping yourself to see whats wrong and post pics here so we can help troubleshoot for you then id suggest going to another mechanic to have it assembled.

Start by taking off the hear, remove the 6 head bolts and whip it off, then do the 4 barrel bolts. and check what the piston is like, probably a broken skirt or something...

Keep it, and fix it. Always worth it!

Shards of aluminum are never good! haha I would suggest that you pick up a Clymer manual for the blaster or download it from one of the stickies that we have here called the Blaster Handbook or something like that. Drain the crankcase oil in the blaster and see what it looks like, metal smelling, metal in it, feels like molasses, etc. Then I would take off the head and cylinder of the engine and see what it going on there. Rebuilds run for around $200 for the piston replacement and bore job. Let us know if you need any more help!

Have the stock cylinder bored over if it needs it. You should be able to get back Running for About 200 bucks.

Before you tear it down do a leakdown test. Havin aluminum in the cylinder is a bad sign

I agree with the above posts. Tear it down and check it out. It could be much worse. I welded my piston to the cylinder wall in a 240 kit and that was a kick in the nuts well over $400 because I didn't do anything myself or research parts. So tear it down and check it out. Shouldn't be over $200.

This is just a thought...... TORS? Get rid of it if its still on this bike. Wont help the aluminum in the cylinder. But that was per the shop that wants to rebuild it. I had one do the same thing. Start in one kick and next time in 10 and never when it was wet or damp. Just a thought before you tear into this thing.

This is just a thought...... TORS? Get rid of it if its still on this bike. Wont help the aluminum in the cylinder. But that was per the shop that wants to rebuild it. I had one do the same thing. Start in one kick and next time in 10 and never when it was wet or damp. Just a thought before you tear into this thing.

Tors has been removed already. I'm gonna take the plastics off and get a better view of the motor and start a tear down process. There's a shop that can do a bore job for me if need be.

So while going outside I had started thinking... If I'm going to spend 200 on a rebuild, why not spend a couple hundred more for a new motor or possibly a well built race motor? Anybody got a problem free bolt on and go motor? Possibly one with a 240 kit big bore etc...lemme know before I go crazy with mine ha