New to blasters, need help

kf7lcw

Feb 2, 2012
Oregon
Hi all, I just picked up a 2001 blaster for $100. Pretty good shape but it needs some work done.

So what happened is the guy was warming it up, revved it a couple times, and the piston skirt broke. He shut it down right off, so I do not believe any serious damage was done. The inside of the cylinder looks fine to my untrained eye.

I was looking at getting a top end kit through a local shop, but I understand I will need to split the case to clean out the pieces. Is there a write up for this? Also, should I get the jug checked out by a machine shop?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to learning lots and having fun :)

You don't have to slit the case to do it but it will some extra work. Pull the whole motor so you can turn it upside down. Flush out with a couple cans of carb cleaner and some compressed air. Wiseco is the best piston and use factory brand gaskets. Do a leak down test after you get it together.

While its apart you might as well get the jug checked at least, a hone wouldn't hurt as well. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal if it just needs a top end rebuild.

More than likely the piston skirt breaking was caused by excessive piston to cylinder clearence, which caused it to flop around in there, busting the skirt
Do yourself a favor and save some loot in the long run by having it bored to the next size with a new piston/rings/gaskets
Can usually be done for under $200,
If you don't find a reputable shop locally,
Call the number in my Sig pic below :)

Last edited:
Hi all, I just picked up a 2001 blaster for $100. Pretty good shape but it needs some work done.

So what happened is the guy was warming it up, revved it a couple times, and the piston skirt broke. He shut it down right off, so I do not believe any serious damage was done. The inside of the cylinder looks fine to my untrained eye.

I was looking at getting a top end kit through a local shop, but I understand I will need to split the case to clean out the pieces. Is there a write up for this? Also, should I get the jug checked out by a machine shop?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to learning lots and having fun :)

Got it right here, it is a very good idea to split the cases as there is possibly some schrapnel that may have found its way to a bearing.

Mere flushing of the case is not sufficient to remove the gritty residue that a broken skirt can leave in the case.

It only takes one tiny piece of grit to wreck a motor, play it safe, have the case split, inspected for cracks and have the bearings cleaned.

Well, I think I am going to split the case. Seems to be the best route, when turning it over by hand you can feel/hear pieces so I need to open it up. Does anybody have a link to a how-to?

I dropped the jug off at the local machine shop, he's pretty swamped but he's supposed to get to it tomorrow and first mic it so see what size it actually is, then let me know if we need to go over. He said it looked good so as long as its in spec he will pry just hone it.

Dont turn it over anymore than you have to, you need to stop the bits from migrating to where they should not be.

Thanks all for the advice. I think tomorrow I'll pull the motor and put it on my workbench where I can work on it a little easier. I had a once over of the splitting, its not as complicated as I thought it would be.

Is there anything I should do while I have it apart? Other than the obvious

So i decided to pull the engine today, didn't go well. I can't get the big bolt that holds the swing arm and engine out. It turns freely, but won't budge. No amount of presuasion will get it out. I got some pentrating oil to try to get it out, but is there a trick? May I have to cut it? and if so where would I cut at?

That big bolt is just corroded in place. Once you get the nut loose, leave it on the end of the bolt, use a block of wood or something and wack it with a hammer. Try not to mess up the threads. There is a chance your swing arm bearings will need replaced if it is that rusted.

I recently purchased a show room new 2003 blaster. A guy bought for his son with intents to give it to him if he started doing better in school and quit smoking,420,drinking ect. Well the boy ended up quoting school so never got the quad. It's been sitting for nine years. Dad just sold it to me. My question is, I heard mixed stories. And I will just be rec riding, no racing. But some are telling me to due away with this automatic oil system. I understand if I were going to be modifiying motor.,carb and all to start mixing. But what is some exsperienced thoughts on this? Has anyone ever had one fail? My local dealer says no, and to leave it. I just don't want to start tinkering with things. We all know what happens then. Won't run right, and always seem to lead to issue. This quadrant like I said will be mildly used for family rec fun. Your thoughts please:)

^ It may be helpful to start your own thread. Not being a jerk or anything you will probably get better responses.

Finally got the bolt out. WD-40'd it everytime I walked by it yesterday, after soaking over night a few good whacks with a BFH got it right out.

I now have the engine out and on my bench. Is there such a thing as a how-to on splitting the case? I understand I need to split the clutch side? or can I split the other side? Anything helps :)

man I wouldnt split the cases ...I have lost 2 skirts barely found anything ...as I was told most of it went out my exhaust port..... turn her upside down on saw horses or whatever and spin the crank by hand ...if theres sh*t up in there you will hear it easisly...make sure you take a flash light and look for any holes inside the case specially towards the top where the balancer is...also while spinning the crank inspect for stiff spots...if there are you need to split her

If you split you will have to have a flywheel pulller and it all has to come apart not just 1 side.....clutch cover off, clutch off, flywheel off,stator off, sprocket off, shifter off, and more.......

There's trash in there, I can see it and hear it. I got a manual its a little vague on the splitting of the case though.

If you have to split the cases. You pull the clutch side off of the flywheel side. All the transmission gears stay in the flywheel side with a little help.

Right, after looking over my manual it don't look too bad. I will probably tackle it here in the next few days.

The local shop quoted me about 300 out the door, which is too rich for my blood lol

On a lighter note, I put all the plastics on the bike today just to see if everything was there and looked good. I was really happy, I will post a pitcture in daylight tomorrow :)

Couple updates
First off I got a new bolt for the swing arm, cost some money but not too bad really ($27)

First off, here it is with all the plastics put on
100_0663.jpg

You can't see it very well, but I found a hole in the crankcase. Looks like it goes right into where the balancer shaft is, but luckily seems to be isolated to the left half of the case.
100_0666.jpg

And here is the engine as it stands, I need to borrow my buddy's flywheel puller so I can get the case split. I am also working on sourcing a replacement left case or repairing mine.
100_0667.jpg

I've learned a lot through tearing it down. Its stuff you can't really learn without just getting dirty and doing it. No doubt I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I enjoy it all. I still think I am going to come out money ahead for $100, even if I do end up putting a couple hundred into it.