New to blasters and need help.

Bori

Apr 3, 2014
Hi to all I'm new here n to riding blaster. I didn't know if there's an area to introduce my self and it took me a minute to figured how to post lol. Ok I just bought an 03 blaster in good conditions with oil injection remove. I just bought new tires to take those huge looking tires,I just bought a shearer pipe kit, uni filter, jet kit and lowering kit for front and back. I have read for days about blaster and jetting a lot of different opinions and info. But I'm going the spark plug test route. But I have read about altitude and is confusing the crap out of me. I live in Florida, and where I ride is dusty and it gets between 80-108 degrees on the upcoming month. What jet size should I start w. 310? And can I still ride with lit is a k&n lit that was already in it. Thanks in advance.....

First off, was it a jet kit, or actual separate jets?

jet kits are not the same size as genuine mikuni jets, which could change your jetting majorly.

what fuel: oil ratio are you running?

I havent seen anyone with a shearer pipe

Welcome to the forum :D

Reactions: Bori
image.jpg Hi and thanx for the quick reply. Yes. I guess I messed up buying jet kit? Uhg I waited so long for everything to arrive. 32.1 is the ratio

Wether you have the TORS removed and an idle screw fitted bears no relation to your choice of jets.

With the cover on I would be inclined to plug chop with the #310.

The hotter the weather and the higher the altitude the smaller main jet you need to use.

Before you plug chop you need to set the float level, perform a leak test and adjust the idle setting.

Wether you have the TORS removed and an idle screw fitted bears no relation to your choice of jets.

With the cover on I would be inclined to plug chop with the #310.

The hotter the weather and the higher the altitude the smaller main jet you need to use.

Before you plug chop you need to set the float level, perform a leak test and adjust the idle setting.
Now when I do the idle setting, where should the tors setting should b at cus I know you can mess with that screw to.

the idle is on top of tors THOTTLE OVER RIDE SYSTEM IT IS JUST FOR SAFETY there is a wire coming out of thumb throttle,one on carb,and one on the parking brake clutch lever perch. turning screw on top under seat to the right will increase idle.turning it to left will decrease idle. the screw on thumb throttle should be all the way out. if it is not then it will limit the throttle from being full engaged.

Idle adjusting.
Set float level, make sure that all jets are clean and fuel flows freely from the float bowl drain when the screw is cracked open.
Start with air screw 1.5 turns out.
Set idle screw so that it has some sort of idle. With TORS it is the big screw under seat on top of unit. With no TORS is is the brass screw midway down carb body.
Warm up motor and then set idle screw for a faster idle, 2000rpm+
Adjust air screw either way to get the fastest idle.
Adjust air screw a little at a time leaving 10 secs or until the motor responds.
Re adjust idle screw for desired idle .

Reactions: Awk08 and Bori
Idle adjusting.
Set float level, make sure that all jets are clean and fuel flows freely from the float bowl drain when the screw is cracked open.
Start with air screw 1.5 turns out.
Set idle screw so that it has some sort of idle. With TORS it is the big screw under seat on top of unit. With no TORS is is the brass screw midway down carb body.
Warm up motor and then set idle screw for a faster idle, 2000rpm+
Adjust air screw either way to get the fastest idle.
Adjust air screw a little at a time leaving 10 secs or until the motor responds.
Re adjust idle screw for desired idle .
Man U make explaining easy understanding. Lol. I'll post back by Monday...going out of town. Thanx guys.

I'm back. I put everything back together,310 main, shearer pipe kit,new uni filter no lit. I set float level, idle screw to highest n air screw to high rev..lowered idle till it was nice an smooth. Throttle responds good and it stays only few second before it goes to normal idle approximately 5-6 second so is not hanging . I didn't have time to plug chop today but will try tomorrow. Now do I got to plug chop 1/4 throttle then 1/2-3/4 and then full? Little confuse after reading many ways on how to do it

No plug chop is to confirm your main jet which is mainly used at 3/4 throttle and up
Ok. I mostly do trail at moderate speed not crazy so may b Saturday I'll go and plug chop at the trails can't do it at my house not long areas.but it defy felt strong in first in my driveway. But I'll do plug chop to make sure not to lean I guess a lil rich is not bad? But I'm thinking on keeping lit on here in Florida to much sugar sand.

It usually is not required to plug chop the needle unless the engine is running abnormally up to 3/4 throttle.

I am in favour of running a little rich especially in heavy going.

It usually is not required to plug chop the needle unless the engine is running abnormally up to 3/4 throttle.

I am in favour of running a little rich especially in heavy going.
You think ill be fine for now with out plug chop? It starts, idle and rev find. Today I rechecked and I lift it up in blocks just for the hell of it and I had it wide open all the way to 6 and acted fine thru all the gears. Didn't bother doing a plug chop like that because it won't be the same as riding it. Is there another way of telling if it's lean or rich by sound or I don't know. I have air screw 1 1/2 turn and it responds good. This is aggravating been a newbie

Another question since I did a little bit of upgrade should I mix different? I'm at 32.1 now

you really shouldn't run the motor like that without a load. you can damage the motor and or trans.