New to blasters and 2 strokes. Please help this noob!

Kyleu890

May 17, 2016
Hi all, I just picked up an 03 blaster for my gf and it appeared to me as a great deal. Clean, oil system deleted, DG exhaust, moose racing foam air filer (lid on), a carb that says "MEC" on the side, and the bike appears to have the tors system deleted (there is no bulky thing by the carb). Couple issues/questions. First off the headlight doesn't come on, yes I'm sure it could just be a bulb BUT if that isn't the case what could it be? Secondly, the bike seems like it is not running quite right. It starts and idles fine but when I'm accelerating, it revs to half throttle in a hurry, but then it seems like it hits a wall. It doesn't stumble or bogg it just doesn't accelerate or rev up past 1/2-3/4 throttle. Also, the bike barely smokes, pretty much just on decel, which makes me nervous to ride it before I know what jets are in it. So I'm simply wondering what it could be. It doesn't feel like it has that 2 stroke power band. Is it common that a fouled plug could cause this or what? Guy said it has been running 32:1 pre mix, and he mentioned it has this screw thing on the top of the carb that can raise and lower the needle externally? What could that be?

Anyways, any and all help would be appreciated! Thanks guys and gals!

Never heard of an externally adjustable needle.
Just start with some basic maintenance, new plug, clean air filter and carb. When you have carb apart write down jet numbers.
Maybe go to the DG web site and see if they have jet recommendations.
Also DG pipes don't have much more than a stock pipe.

If you checked the plug, what did it look like ?

So far, my plan is to get some oil and fresh gas, pick up a couple plugs, pull the carb, check jet sizes, clean it out a bit, do a plug chop and go from there.

So far, my plan is to get some oil and fresh gas, pick up a couple plugs, pull the carb, check jet sizes, clean it out a bit, do a plug chop and go from there.

Sound like a good starting plan. Make sure you clean the air filter too. I'm not sure if the Moose one is reusable or 1 time use. If it isnt serviceable , pick up a unfilter.

Check the cable going to the carb. It could be stretched. It sounds like the wrong cab too. Its either a munik or kehin. Or the wrong cable all together. You should have a 230 jet in there. If not pm me and I have jets. You have to adjust the carb too. If you have a meter to measure voltage. Test the light to see if it works. If it doesnt, then check for ground's.

I simply need to figure out what kind of carb I have on it. When I looked I couldn't find kiehn or mikuni written on it anywhere, just "MEC". I'm going to get into the carb either today after work or Friday and see how it looks. It probably needs a thorough cleaning regardless.

Larry, are you saying the thing on top of the carb is a cable slack adjuster or that the cable adjuster is my problem? And yeah I'm going to pick up some 2 stroke yamalube tonight and fresh gas so I know what's in it...

Any ideas as to what carb is in it? I couldn't find anything by searching "MEC" carbs or anything.

Ya, screw device on top of carb is just slack adjuster.
Maybe a pix of carb?
Was looking at a 28mm Mikuni in the garage, it has MIC on one side.

So I dumped out all of the old gas, replace it with some premium with amsoil 2 stroke stuff. Cleaned the carb (can't believe how easy it is compared to my 660). Dropped a new plug in it, and she's running much better now. No how do I adjust the idle on this thing?

Ps I just want to thank all of you again! You have been very helpful and made my 1st 2 stroke experience much easier than it could have been.

Take a pic of that carb. The idle adjustment screw will either be on the side, or on top of the tors brick. I can't really tell from your description of it, so a pic will help!

pics of carb to see if we can spot and idle screw ?

if this was originally a TORS topped carb, it may need an idle screw added

I will grab a pic of it Friday when I'll have time. But it is a mikuni 28mm with the toes unit deleted, a new cap and the adjuster thing on top.

Kind of like this( found a generic pic)
Mikuni-VM-TM-90-Digree-adjuster.jpg

Yes, that's exactly what it is. I'm just having trouble with it not returning back to a normal idle, it just stays high. The plug is a perfect shade of light brown after 2 chops. But I can't get this idle figured out. Then again I'm not really sure where to adjust it.

I found this on Google, this is exactly what my carb looks like minus the cap.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    20.1 KB · Views: 156