New member but with a twist!

Pinche

Apr 22, 2009
Neenah WI
This is my first time messing with two strokers. Your probably wondering what the twist is so here it is. I don't have a Blaster at all. I do have a Blaster engine and a old 1967 Bridgestone 175DT street bike with a bad engine. So put one and two together and here I am. I was asking around on two other forums I'm on asking about powerful compact two stroke engines and the majority of people suggested a Blaster engine.
So after searching around CL and ebay and looking around on here. I found an engine that needed a new piston and was completely torn down with the cases split for two hundred bucks. I got everything needed for it to run like the harness, cdi, coil, exhaust, carb...yada yada yada. So this past Friday I ordered up all new gaskets, seals and a wiseco and cylinder ready to bolt on.
The engine is alot lighter then the Bridgestone's 175cc two stroke twin and smaller. The stock 175 puts out 22hp but finding parts isn't the easiest and that's just stock parts at that. I never seen aftermarket parts for these engines and honestly, I just wanted something newer, better, parts I can buy at the local dealership and with an aftermarket. I figure with a few hundred bucks into it with a good porting from Flotech, and stroker crank and a few other upgrades I could easily double the numbers of the stock twin that came in the bike.

Now some pics
The day I picked it up. Hey for a hundred bucks, you can't expect too much but it's got a good title and it rolls. lol.
motorcycles021.jpg

This is what they originally looked like. Spitting image huh? :eek:
1970-bridgestone-175.jpg

P1130445.jpg

P1130446.jpg

P1130447.jpg

P1130449.jpg

P1130451.jpg

P1130452.jpg

My only issue with the whole project is that the exhaust comes out of the jug directly into the downtube. I'm just going to hack out part of the downtube and weld in a beefy section of 2" DOM tubing I have leftover from a rollcage that the exhaust will run through. Then the stock exhaust will get hacked up for the time being to fit. Then if anyone knows of any shops that build custom expansion chambers or any specs I could go off of to build one from it'd be cool too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ruthless_one3k
Being I've never wrenched on one of these before and haven't picked up a manual yet. Well an actual paper manual as I downloaded the PDF version but I don't think the wife would like me building my engine in the dining room where computer is. I did find a member here who local to me who would walk me through putting one together as I don't want to just drop the engine off someplace and have them do cause I wanna be able to do it myself for free.

Welcome to the forum! My friend had a Bridgestone 90 when we were younger and I will NEVER forget some of the hills he used to TRY to climb with that thing.It was not always a happy ending! You have got to keep us up to date and post pix as your build progresses! Good Luck, looks fun!

wow good deal... yours and the next picture look exactly alike!!! ( sarcasm) i would be carefull with hacking up the exhaust because...that is the make or break point of these kinds of projects. try to get it running without damaging the exhaust too badly.

Sorry for not updating lately. I finally got my parts for it but still need some little things before i can make my mounts. I'm missing a few things I noticed after building that the guy I bought the engine from forgot to include. I haven't done too much to it as this is my second project behind my 72 Honda CL175 I'm close to having back on the road. As for things I need which are...
-a wrist pin clip for wiseco piston as I only received one from the guy here I bought it from. No biggie as their pretty cheap.
-A needle bearing for the piston
-The sprocket holder for the front sprocket
-new head studs
-a clutch basket and maybe two disks and plates
-key and nut for the rotor
Like I said, just small stupid things that are holding me back. Thanks for all the interest folks! If anyone has any of these things let me know. It'll keep me from having to go to the stealership and getting bent over. I haven't checked the site in a week or so and just checked today and noticed the post was on two pages. Whoa! lol. Thanks for all the interest!

I have some extra clutch plates and steels and I think a sprocket holder pay for shipping and there yours. You may want to check though, the clutch should have a wavy spring thing that goes in the stack with the frictions and the steels that may be why your clutch pack looks short. I don't have a nut for the rotor as those tend to be prone to striping (I actually need one myself for my spare motor right now) and as for the key the last one I went to get the guy at the dealership just gave it to me. I think list price is only like 15 cents. Oh yeah one more thing there is a spacer that goes between the nut and the rotor I should have that too if you need it.

Woah your the best man! Gimme a price on shipping to 54956. I've got the wavy spring but it's still coming up short. I'm gonna need to crack it back open again because I'm only getting two gears when I try shifting it which seems to be from 1-n-2. Hmmm...Live and learn.

very cool project, gonna be like a 2 stroke cafe racer??, as for the exhaust deal, you should try to make a split downtube so you dont have to fool with the pipe, and your gonna go way farther than the rest of us with that watermelon tank, thats gotta be like 4 gallons??

That tank is coming off as it's a total eyesore in my opinion. I'm planning on using a tank from CB200T as it's alittle smaller and will flow better with the seat I'm planning on using. I'm shooting for it to resemble the Yamaha TD2 race bikes. Like this
8bf8_1.JPG

As for the exhaust I'm just going to cut the stock chamber at the welds, realign and weld it back together. Also hog out the inside as I've also picked up a Vito's jet kit for it.