New guy with 89 blaster has a couple ?

86SICKSTANG

Feb 15, 2013
euclid, oh
Hi everyone my name is Brandon and im from Cleveland Ohio. I rode 4 wheeler when i was in my mid teens and Im use to working on them. I spent alot of time riding my buddies 98 blaster and received my first traffic violation on it.I recently bought an 89 Blaster that wasn't running and has been sitting a while. The wiring was completely hacked up so I bought a complete harness off eBay that was from an 88 blaster. I hooked up the main wires for ignition and have spark but it will not fire.

There is a white wire that was cut an inch from the stator that is not hooked up.
The black and yellow wire and black wire coming from the top of the carb is unhooked and I wanted to know if its important.
There is no main switch can I plug the black and white wires together to complete the circuit, if so which of the 2 do I use.
Im going to be premixing my fuel what do I need to block off.

Im going to clean the carb, change the oil and get the right ngk spark plug tomorrow.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

i know it sounds stupid and im not telling you to do it, but what i do is put my finger on the end of the plug while its also grounded on the head and then kick it and if its just a weak little shock then that may be your problem but if its a strong painful jolt then your spark is good!

first id clean the carb and the black and yellow wires are for the tros and most people disconnect it and id disconnect it at the brain use the search diy tros removal

I will clean the carb tomorrow. There was no fuel line on it so i bet theres something in the carb. I was reading up on the tors and I just have to unplug it. but any idea on the white wire coming from the stator, I didn't see it on the wiring schematic.

89blaster89 It has an orange yellow spark. What do I need to do to increase the spark.

new ignition coil i believe, im no wiz at wiring, im sure someone else will chime in here and get an answer for ya, i doubt the spark is the problem im sure it has something to do with the wiring...do you still have the tors on the blaster?

You have to unplug the tors brain box. All wire connections must be clean and tite. Where coil mounts to frame must be bare metal. Dielectric grease on connections is good idea. All grounds must be bare metal. Remove plug cap from wire and trim 1/4 " from wire , reinstall. A GOOD spark is fat andblue not lazy yellow. Worst case remove flywheel and clean rust off stator poles and inside of flywheel.

There is no white wire coming out of the stator on a Blaster wiring.

The spark should be blue and bright, a yellow spark no matter how good it is is not going to fire under compression.

Shorting the main switch switches off the ignition.

here is the white wire im talking about
GOPR0185_zpsc9109d7f.jpg

my blaster as i am working on it. Its like 28 degrees out but after kicking it over so much im sweating
GOPR0187_zps88a4ff17.jpg

here are my other toys, left 89 mustang coupe, 5.0 auto, 6 point cage, etc, right 86 coupe mild 351w world class t5 and many many extras, my race car.
PHTO0603.jpg

I cleaned the carb it wasn't getting any fuel, put in a new ngk plug, kicked it a few times. Shot some ether in the carb she fired up and ran for a sec but i need to do an oil change but the previous owner strip the oil drain plug so I have to fight with that. i miss the sound of a blaster.

I drained about 2.5 qts of gas and 2 cycle oil. I hope nothings wiped out inside the case.

Last edited:
I snapped the key for the flywheel so im tearing my lawnmower apart to use the one it has. I will take a pic of inside the stator. Its so close to running.

Dunno how you snapped the woodruff key, but if the enging was running when it happened, you may have to clean up the flywheel by lapping it to the shaft.