New from MI :) ..

Lon

Aug 3, 2015
Just getting back into riding after 8 years and bought my son a Yamaha PW50,wife a stock RM80,myself a fully built nasty little YZ80 :) ..This past Sat was her first time ever riding a dirt bike..She did awesome taking off the very first time but did stall it a few time..Had her keep it in 1st gear,not turn the throttle fast and only give it 1/4 throttle..Everything was perfect BUT at the end of the day,she wanted a quad because she can't touch the ground even with the shock lowered lol..
So I started looking for quads..Found a guy that wanted to trade a from ground up fully rebuilt Blaster other than lower end,case was never opened for a 80 so we traded :) ..Told me the whole rebuild has maybe 1hr on it but started smoking really bad...
Got it home and oil level was just touching so topped it off and drained fuel out of tank/carb,then put fresh gas in it (40-1) ..Fired it up and had awesome compression but after 2-3 mins of running,I was waiting for fire trucks because it was smoking that bad LOL...Can smell the crank case oil big time and the oil level dropped down...
Started searching google and every thread I found pointed to the crank seals..Going to order new gaskets,seals and crank bearings so hope shes fixed in a week or so :) ..

Last link I looked at was to this site so joining :) :) ..I'll make a post in the right section tomorrow just to be sure im right....

Leak test is a pressure test of the motor. If the motor doesn't hold 6 pounds of air pressure for 6 minutes or more. It tells you if your seals, intake, head gasket or base gasket are good or not. If they show any leaks with a soap/water solution, than that is what needs to be fixed. That shows you where the motor is suckling in air.

Reactions: Lon
I live in east lansing. I have family that live in port Huron, Marysville and as of recently, St. Clair.

Leak test is a pressure test of the motor. If the motor doesn't hold 6 pounds of air pressure for 6 minutes or more. It tells you if your seals, intake, head gasket or base gasket are good or not. If they show any leaks with a soap/water solution, than that is what needs to be fixed. That shows you where the motor is suckling in air.
But its not sucking air,its sucking oil from the crank case..I just made a thread with video of it running yesterday is you wanna check it out,its in the engine section..Thanks for the reply Dave :) ..

If it's suckling oil, you have a bad main seal. Easy to fix. Get a seal kit, some case bond and a new clutch cover gasket. In all, if you have a flywheel puller, the whole repair should take 45 minutes to an hour to change the seals. Case bond is for the sleeve on the crank side. It goes, main seal, sleeve and crank snout. The sleeve has been known to leak past it.

Than wait over night for the sealant to cure than put in new oil and you should be ready to ride.

If it's suckling oil, you have a bad main seal. Easy to fix. Get a seal kit, some case bond and a new clutch cover gasket. In all, if you have a flywheel puller, the whole repair should take 45 minutes to an hour to change the seals. Case bond is for the sleeve on the crank side. It goes, main seal, sleeve and crank snout. The sleeve has been known to leak past it.
Yes,sucking oil and smoking white bad out of the exhaust..Im about to start on it in a hour or so and wondering if this is something I can do with the engine still on the quad or should I pull it??

You should be able to do all the work without pulling the motor. Just be sure to completely clean the machine prior to working on it.

You'll probably have to remove the right foot peg and brake lever to gain access to the engine screws. Use the correct screw driver and if you have to, a screw driver impact wrench. Sometimes the screws don't come out easy.

Thanks so much for the replys/help Dave :) ..One thing that sucks is we have 3 shops in the area and non have the seals,all have to order them and one claims to be the biggest Yamaha dealer in Michigan lol..Looks like Ebay it is for me so please let me know if this is what I need...
Have to look but pretty sure I have a flywheel puller but if not,i'll buy one ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Three-Bond-...ket-/161475458599?hash=item2598aff627&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-2006-Y...Model:Blaster+200&hash=item58ca5a26aa&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YFS2...ore-/261984788203?hash=item3cff829eeb&vxp=mtr

Wow. Look at all the negative feedback on 3 of the 4 sellers. Not where I would spend my money.

Yes, that's all the parts you will need. The yamaha dealer should carry yamabond. That's all I use. Never had experience with 3 bond but heard it's the same. Not sure. If you have a hole punch, I would make my own cover gasket. That's what I do. Gasket material at the local store is pretty cheap.