New Blaster Owner

Hillbilly_Proud

Dec 11, 2012
Fairborn, OH
I just got my first blaster and found this forum. Can anyone give me any tips as to what I should check out and test on it? It runs great and had the carb rebuilt in August 2012. It has a slow leak from the tranny, so I gotta investigate where exactly its coming from and replace the gasket/seal, whatever it is thats leaking. The rear caliper is froze and needs replaced, but other that that it kicks azz. Im just wondering what all commonly goes bad with these that I should check now before going out to ride and something breaking after only an hour. Any tips, info, tricks, or news on these fun machines would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum.

The first thing you'll need to do is leak test it. Spray some soapy water around everything to pinpoint it (look for the bubbles).

Just look through some older posts and use the serch bar for any problems you have, you're not the first to have them.

I'm sure some more experienced members will chime in here too. Good luck!

yeah i know the basics, i just mean the blaster specific problems that might commonly happen more in blasters than other quads. Thanks

Leakproof.

Correct jetting.

Adequate lubrication.

Electrical grounding.

Very poor stock shocks, deserve improvment.

Treat a Blaster well and it will return the favour.

Last edited:
Awk08 sells a great rear brake caliper upgrade for the blaster. Pm him he will answer all your q's on it.

If you know you have a slow leak from the tranny then the very first thing you should do is locate exactly where the leak is ... If its an air leak and you continue to ride like that your piston will be fried in no time. Fried piston means you'll be needing a new top end ! I would say the number one thing you will need and need to know how to do when owning a blaster is a leak tester and know how to perform a leak down test. One of our member slickerthenyou sells quality leak down testers at a great price, myself along with MANY other members have bought testers from slick with nothin but positive feedback on his product as well as his service.

You need to locate the oil leak to find out where it is coming from and what is causing it.

An oil leak does not always mean you have an air leak problem but it would be a good idea to check for one.

If the gearcase has been overfilled it may leak from the breather tube.

If the breather tube is blocked by a little critter the pressure could be forcing oil out somewhere.

I have known the sight glass to weep a little oil on older cases.

Do you see signs of seepage or is the oil just dissapearing?

Thanks for the info! I just bought it this afternoon so I havent really investigated it. The guy I got it from said he got it from his brother when he passed away 2 years ago. He said since then he has been starting it every 2 weeks and lettin it run for bout half an hour, but once a month he would ride it kinda easy for a solid half hour after letting it warm up. It started leaking the oil around july, he noticed it cause there was a lil puddle under it after he parked it. He quit riding it then and only started it to let it run, then he rebuilt the carb in Aug cause it wouldnt idle right. When I went to buy it we put just a lil bit of oil in it so that in the sight glass (on level ground) was only a quarter of the way up the glass so i could go down the street to make sure all the gears worked, I didnt get on it all that hard but for a couple mins. I loaded it in the trailer n drove home. I drove it off the trailer and straight into the garage. Came back out about 15 mins later to see if it was coming from somewhere obvious and there was a quarter sized spot on the ground. I will get a hold of slick soon for a tester and research exactly how to do the leak down test. I will also make sure i fix this problem before i make it worse. Thanks again

Thisll save you a bit of time at the keyboard.

14mqc1y.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Incredibly helpful so far, im glad i found this site right when i got my blaster! Thanks again! if its leaking the oil from an air leak, where is it most likely leaking air at?

Incredibly helpful so far, im glad i found this site right when i got my blaster! Thanks again! if its leaking the oil from an air leak, where is it most likely leaking air at?

Welcome first off!

If it's leaking on the ground, Most likely a bad sprocket or kick shaft seal (leak test won't tell ya that if the motor is leak free)- easy fix, If it's not leaking on the ground sounds like a crank seal leak on the clutch side, will smoke bad and smell! - Leak test will find that!

yeah the puddle is on the sprocket side almost straight under the sprocket. bad sprocket seal was my guess until these guys freaked me out about the air haha... I still gotta look at it better in better light after riding it for a few and i for sure want to do the leak down test before spring comes and its time to go balls to the wall. If its leaking air will it always have a symptom or can it leak air without knowing it unless u do the test?

yeah the puddle is on the sprocket side almost straight under the sprocket. bad sprocket seal was my guess until these guys freaked me out about the air haha... I still gotta look at it better in better light after riding it for a few and i for sure want to do the leak down test before spring comes and its time to go balls to the wall. If its leaking air will it always have a symptom or can it leak air without knowing it unless u do the test?

If your knowledgeable on two stroke jetting, you could know, surging, or high idling, Hangging rpm's is a classic example. But just knowing it's leaking isn't gonna fix it- have to find out where!

will u message me the info on the tester u offer? the motor seems great other than the trany leak, but thats not the motor and im not that experienced in 2 strokes, yet. it shifts great also. I plan on some modifications this winter, but i want to check everything out on it before i even start that process. Thanks again everyone for all the info!!!

As this bike is new to you, could you possibly list the things that you know has been done to the motor, like type of air filter, header pipe, if it has oil injection or premix.

We may be able to give you a ballpark figure of where the jetting should be.