New Blaster, need jetting help

Tbrock77

Mar 21, 2015
Upstate. New York
Hello everyone, new to this forum and new to blasters but I had a banshee before. Bought my girlfriend a blaster but I'm having trouble getting it idling and running smooth it's smoking a lot, and I have the air screw turned way pass 4 turns and it was almost starting to run smooth. The weather is all over the place right now so I'd like to try to get it jetted right for 60 degrees just to have a base.

1) What type of aftermarket exhaust do you have?

DG header and silencer

2) What type of airfilter do you have?

regular foam filter

3) Are you a)running a stock airbox with lid stock airbox with NO lid c) Stock airbox with vents d) no airbox at all

stock airbox with lid

4) What is your elevation? (If you don't know, go here: Topographic Maps & Aerial Photos for United States & Canada )

roughly sea level to 1000"

5) What size pilot jets are you using?

not sure on jetting

6) What size main jets are you using?

7) What is your Bore Size?

.02 over

8) Do you have a port job?

no

9) What kind of carb?

stock carb

you forgot oil injection or pre -mixing:D
clean the carb?
spark plug type?
does the smoke smell like gear oil burning? or is it white?
you may have a air leak/leaking gear oil into the crank/piston combustion chamber

carb plus idle 1 1 1 big 1.jpg

Oil injected, it's a clean blue smoke. Was running a BPR8ES in it but I put in a B8ES cause I flooded it and it was the only spare one I had. I haven't gotten the chance to see what plugs everyone recommends running. I will give the carb a good cleaning. I was just wondering if anyone had an idea of where to start for jetting, so when I open it up I can see if the jets need to be changed.

leakdown and compression tests ?

B8ES plug

clean carb:
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/how-to-clean-your-carbureutor.254/

check/set floats:
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/float-heights-and-how-to-adjust-them.50565/

adjust airscrew/pilot jet
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/adjusting-your-airscrew-pilot-jet.51060/

needle on the middle clip position

main jets for your listed mods 240-270
determined by plug chops, start large and plug chop down
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/how-to-plug-chop.53237/

Reactions: speedyslyder
Compression was at 105ish but I'm going to check it one more time, That's a bit low but what it had was a broken reed so it wouldn't run, I put a new reed in it and it started second kick. Now it's being a pain in the ass. The piston and cylinder didn't have any scoring in them.

Thank you for the info. I'm surprised there is a thread about cleaning carbs but I guess some people might not know it haha

I'll check what main I have, but what pilot should I be running with those mods?

dont use the bpr8es anymore there has been problems on here with the"projected " plug.
4 full turns out of the airscrew is crazy.
start with 1 1/2 turns out/after fully seating the airscrew with a small screwdriver that wont hit on the carb body.
adjust idle under the seat..see if it helps.
pay attention to the pilot jet in carb you should be able to see through it when held up to a light:)

stock pilot jet 32.5 your compression is low deff check it again/should be at 120psi around
100psi needs rebuilt/or explanitoin why it is low:)

I had it at 1 1/2 turns out and it was bogging trying to rev, I leaned it out to over 4 turns (Lost count) and it started running smoother. It has the TORS removed.

I will start running the B8ES in it, I figured that's what everyone was going to say, that's what I ran in my banshee so I have a ton laying around.

I will check the jetting, From what you guys have said It should be a 32.5 and 240-270. I'll also do a compression test, I'll do it on a cold motor for comparison to my earlier result and then a warm motor.

Thanks for all the answers so far.

what pilot should I be running with those mods?

the stock 32.5 pilot has worked with every stage of tune I've used it with,
except maybe 240cc cylinders may require a 35

Got into the carb. Really clean. 230 main jet so I need to bump that, 32.5 pilot.

Is there suppose to be a little washer on the main jet? I've never seen one like that before.

Got into the carb. Really clean. 230 main jet so I need to bump that, 32.5 pilot.

Is there suppose to be a little washer on the main jet? I've never seen one like that before.

yes, brass washer under the main jet

Reactions: Tbrock77
This doesn't explain why I have to lean out the quad so much. I'm out more than 4 turns and it's just starting to run smoother. It's roughly 30 degrees out so I figured with more air (denser air because of the cold) but that's not the case.

Compression tested again, 100psi cold. May just put new rings in it because the piston and cylinder wall don't have any marks.

Is the float set to 20 - 21.mm?

Could the sir cleaner be dirty or over oiled?

It would pay to measure the cylinder for out of round and taper!

Throttle WFO, kick until gage stops moving. If adapter is shorter than spark plug you will get lower reading. If schrader valve isn't at end of tester, lower reading. Might try different tester. Not saying does or doesn't need rebuild.

Did you remove and clean emusion tube (main jet "holder") ?

Didn't check float because I didn't think that would affect anything.

Air filter does feel oily but I don't know what they feel like normally

Don't think the exhaust is clogged.

Tester is the craftsman set so the plug matches and from doing it on my shee I did properly preform the test

I thoroughly cleaned the carb while I had it open.

I just remembered the reed pedals I replaced the broken ones with didn't match the other side, the seem to be from a different year. I'm going to get a reed cage that isn't messed up today and see if that fixes the problem

Last edited:
Considering specs (according to Blaaster) only allow 1mm (.040") tolerance, I would say it's pretty critical.
Did son's banshee wrong once (wrong spot on float), when done correctly started twice as easy.
Also check float bowl is filling to correct level. Clear tube on drain, hold along side bowl, level should be about even with bowl top.

Considering specs (according to Blaaster) only allow 1mm (.040") tolerance, I would say it's pretty critical.
Did son's banshee wrong once (wrong spot on float), when done correctly started twice as easy.
Also check float bowl is filling to correct level. Clear tube on drain, hold along side bowl, level should be about even with bowl top.

I will look up how to check the float level and I will set it to the appropriate level. Although Im starting to think that this is not a carb problem. I'll address the float and the reeds today and come back with an update.