new blaster and a couple questions

chads300

Sep 23, 2010
hey guys i picked up a 98 blaster and seems to run good. only mods are boyseen power reeds, uni filter fmf power core 2 silencer and a .40 over wiseco piston. i am looking to get more out of the quad while still keeping it on the reliable side. was considering a port job ,larger carb,ct exhaust......but i am open to opinions and any is appreciated

Leak test and check the jetting!

A rechambered head.

A good header pipe.

Forget the larger carb until you get porting done.

first worry about your jetting, first thing i always do to a new aquired 2 stroke

check main jet and check needle position and pilot jet

check for air leaks, those will kill your engine in no time

compresion test to make sure it doesent need a rebuild.

if all those check out a port job and head rechamber will nearly double your stock power output

it seems prety spot on in the jetting department...but i have only had it for about 5 hours....i guess mainly what i am wanting out of this is to be able to keep up with some larger quads such as a 400ex.... bought it to restore as i just finished the ol banshee up

Pretty pointless exercise rechambering and porting, the poor stock pipe will hold it back.

You have to get it breathing before you port, otherwise you waste available power.

lol not blow em away more or less just keep up in the trails and such and would like more bottom end as i do alot of climbing

rechambered head boyesen ports/porting and larger carb and a fat blastard or toomey exhaust these mods are moderatly expencive but 1000 or so and it will be a very fast/reliable quad you dont need a stroker crank that can wait till you have to have the cases split.Personal opinion

lol not blow em away more or less just keep up in the trails and such and would like more bottom end as i do alot of climbing

What you need is,

DMC Alien. +4 timing advance. Reed spacer between jug and reed cage.​

26mm carb is all you need for these mods​

You can get some more oomph with a Unifilter and no lid on the air box.​

Trust me you will keep with the 400s.​

yea dont want to embarrass them to much thats what the banshee is for. also does it make a large improvement going with extended a-arms and swing aram. and what about a lightened flywheel?

Lightened flywheel is no good for climbing it will not assist in keeping up the revs.

If you climb a lot a longer swinger would be a great investment.

i am planning on ordering parts tomorrow, everyone seems to like the toomey b1,they any good or dmc....i run 916s on the shee and theyre amazing