Need YOUR advise! Help me out!

sapient

Feb 17, 2010
Louisiana
My friend blew up his banshee and sold it to me for $450.00, all it needs is a new piston/rings. I made a post about it here:
http://www.blasterforum.com/off-topic-7/sapients-shee-25109/

It's an 03 Yamaha Blaster

Full FMF Gold exhaust
Shaved head
V-Force reeds
+10 Timing Key
GSXR clutch
+6? Swingarm
K&N Air Filter
ITP Holeshots

-----------------------

I got on a few banshee forums and none of them are as helpful as you guys!

So, my question is... What type of pistons do I need? Do I need to replace both of them or just the one that's fuked? I have a new shaved head and there isn't any damage to the cylinders... I know im going to need to flush the case out with diesel, but that should be it, right?

So, If I can use stock size piston/rings, what kind and where should i get them?

Is this a good deal?
Amazon.com: Option Pro-Lite Piston Kit for Yamaha (573M06600): Automotive

Also, I was told that the +10 Advanced timing might have been the reason it blew, which would make sense to me, since ive only heard of people advancing the most of +4...

I really just want to get it running as of right now, the cheapest, fastest way possible... Does anyone see a problem with getting stock size pistons and replacing them if the cylinders have no visible damage?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
the best way to do it is to check the piston to wall clearance, and go from there, but if that checks out ok, run a flex hone through it, and then put in a set of WISECO pistons, replace them both so you don't run into any balance isses/its just good practice

you said you just want to get it running the cheapest fastest way possible, why can't you reuse the bad piston? I may have missed something in your post, but if you can clean it up and the ring grooves are free and will hold the rings it should run. If it was me I would consider that and at least you can try and make it run before you sink more $$ into it. If it will run with the patched up piston then tear it back down and build it right. Otherwise you spend $$ for pistons $$ for gaskets and your time then maybe it wont run or the transmission is bad. It happened to me once, I rebuilt a motor and come to find out the tranny was junked out. PS a scored pistin can be cleaned up, the body is not important just the crown and rings and wrist pin areas, in other words alot of the damage from light seizing can be cleaned up.

Well I don't mind dropping 200.00 bucks for 2 new pistons/rings... I just want to know if it will work and if it will last, or do i NEED to bore them out...

So, Bore them out or no?

Get them checked to make sure they aren't out of round and make sure they aren't scarred or rough. If your spending the money on pistons, I would at least have the cylinders checked first so everything will work good together.