Need Transmission help

mike11743

Feb 12, 2008
I dont know whats the matter with this thing but I dont have any gears above 3rd. I just got done breaking in new piston and rings. I broke the motor in completely with no problems. I pull the plug out put in a new one and change the oil from tranny fluid to 10w-30 which is what my owners manual says to run. The problem is first second and third work fine but when I go to shift up into fourth, the shifter will not budge. If I shift with the motor off, going into third I hear a clunk that sounds like it would make everything stop mobing, but I still have third but no fourth gear. Anyone got any suggestions?? I was going to go riding tomorrow for the first time this whole summer, but it looks like maybe not. Please help me.

when you did your rebuild did you crack the case, or do anything with the bottom end?, you might have dropped something down in the motor while doing the rebuild.?

No I didnt do anything with the bottom end. I always keep multiple rags covering up the bottom end when I do a top end. I did tear off the side cover and I can move the shifting star to first second and third but cant get it to budge when in fourth. The motor and transmission turn over in first second and third. What does this sound like. Maybe a shift fork. It has to be something inside the cases.

omg everything you described is where im at right now. even the top end build part and 4th gear part. the only thing my blaster is doing that you didnt describe is lots of smoking suddenly. i just removed the motor and have it sitting on my workbench wondering what to do next. Thinking of trying to split the cases and look around.

Hey after my last rebuild, my quad started smoking real bad also. Turns out my cranckase vent hose was clogged and building up pressure in the motor. If your hose isnt clogged, then its prob your crank seal on the clutch side. Let me know if you find out anything on that 4th gear problem. Its nice to know im not the only one with this problem lol.

Hey after my last rebuild, my quad started smoking real bad also. Turns out my cranckase vent hose was clogged and building up pressure in the motor. If your hose isnt clogged, then its prob your crank seal on the clutch side. Let me know if you find out anything on that 4th gear problem. Its nice to know im not the only one with this problem lol.

well you cant really mess up on puttin the gears back in theres really only 1 way they will fit in right... you have to have something stuck in there..... if i was you i would split the case again and check it really good for a nut or god knows what else.

well you cant really mess up on puttin the gears back in theres really only 1 way they will fit in right... you have to have something stuck in there..... if i was you i would split the case again and check it really good for a nut or god knows what else.

I never split the cases...I just did a top end rebuild. Im hoping that maybe a piece of something brake off and got wedged in there somehow. This dosent sound like a shifting fork or something like that does it??

Okay I got my sidecaseff and I can somewhat see the poblem. I can manually move the shift star from first to neutral to second BUT if I move it to third, the star dosent go all the way into third. Its like it gets stuck on the point of the star instead of falling into the indentation. This ever happen to anyone or does anyone know the culprit??

Close to the same problem I am having. I rebuilt the top end made sure nothing went down in the bottom end keeping it covered real well. I just went out today and broke in the top end it was running great then i went to climb a decent sized hill and got almost to the top and realized i was on the wrong side of the trail and there was a boulder in the way with a hole blocking me from going around it so it rolled down the hill 3 or 4 times and after that it is extremely hard to get it into 3rd gear and got stuck in neutral a couple times and took lots of rolling back and forth to get it into a gear. I have not tried adjusting the clutch yet since the clutch lever did get bent a little bit flipping down the hill. it seems like its much more than just a clutch adjustment though. anyone have any suggestions?

tweathers, you for sure have a bent shift fork. 90% of the time bent shift forks happen after a crash. Mike11743 you are going to need to split the cases. But first check if the shift star screw and cam screw is tight. You have something messed up with the drum, fork support shaft or the fork(s) themselves.