Need some help

xJust_Causex

Apr 14, 2010
york, Illinois
Hello good gentlemen, lol

long time no see for most of ya, hello to the new guys. Been awhile since I've been around not much going on on the blasty haven't really even been riding due to work/school/being broke. I did order a 260 main and waiting for it to come in hopefully help the top end probs, anyway that isn't what i need help with.

What I do need help with is a 86 moto4. I've been trying for 2 weeks to get it to charge the battery so that my gf can use the electric start (even more of a pain when it didn't know come with a pull rope, or cover). Since figuring out it has a pull rope its not that big of a deal, except it also doesn't have any lights, ya fun. I switched out regulators thinking that was the problem but to no avail. I have been trying to trace wires as best I can but without a diagram is not fun. I have checked the 3 wires coming from the stator and they have roughly 4 volts on them, and have continuity to the regulator, is it possible that the pickup could be bad in the stator? If anyone has any idea what it could be or some help that would be great, also if anyone has a wiring diagram that would be very helpful as well.

my brother had one of those. this bike rite?
2d15kz.jpg

anywhooos, try connecting thr charger directly up to the positive and neg wires that go to the battery. and then try to start it. it it dosent turn over or click, check your ground alll ur ground wires. and check that the key is working, cause without the key working, it wont turn over or anything. so try to bypass that. than turn it over.

yep one of those, except its the older 225, and yes it will start if you have it hooked up to another vehicle or a booster, so i know its not the starter or the solenoid. When it is running there is no charge going to the battery and none of the lights work, and about the only thing I can think is that its the pick up in the stator, but was wanting more opinions on the matter.

I couldn't get the pdf to download, and I wouldn't allow it to install its "download manager" that it wanted to install, then I couldn't even get that, silly intrawebs

only fuse I could find was on the right side by the CDI and it ohmed good, but i'm using a cheap wally world meter that I don't trust fully yet.

only fuse I could find was on the right side by the CDI and it ohmed good, but i'm using a cheap wally world meter that I don't trust fully yet.

Fuses either are, or are not, nothing in between.

If you have continunity it is good.

If it is open circuit, it is bad.

well i think it is in the button on the handel bars

buttons good, the electric start works if you have it hooked up to a good battery or a booster, but its not charging the battery while running, and none of the lights work, this is a charging issue, not really a won't start, not running issue.

there should be a fuse comming rite off the batter on the positive wire. its a little black round tube looking thing that the wire runs through. check that. also do the lights work with it connected to another bike or charger? if so, than batter most likley needs to be replaces. check it with the volt meter. shoud be around 12v. and it cant be the stator, cause it runs. if it was the stator, it wouldent run, or it will run like crap because of lack of spark or biig enough spark. there is also most likely a fuse for the lights. try to trace the wores and find it. and check all the bullet connectors, and switch on the handle bars. but if it starts and runs with the charger or another power supply to it, the battery is dead, and u probs need a new one. if u have another sitting around somewhere, swap it out and try.

i think u need new battery. check the voltage. cause my onld one when the batter died, it never took any charge, and the starter woulf click 2 times, than complete dead. the nutreal light never even came on.

ya the battery on it is dead, i know that for sure, the lights do work when on the charger, and there is no fuse on the positive lead from the batter, it could have been removed at some point. I would think that the lights would have ass work at least with out the battery but they don't. Even if I did have a new battery hooked up there is no charge coming to the battery. It should still hvae 12-13 volts coming to the battery when it was running regardless good battery or not, right?. I have tried to check the wire coming from the regulator as best I could and there is nothing coming from the regulator, I guess it is possible the used one I bought is also bad, is there anyway to check it, but it does have roughly 4 volts coming to it.

Also there is a little black box that sits next to the regulator that has a green wire and 2 or 3 red/white wires coming from it, anyone have any idea what that is. Come thursday I think I'm gonna try and pick up a service manual for this beast, it is such a pain to work on, would much rather work on the blasty, lol

Thanks Gents

Last edited:
That black bibi think I'd the cdi. No problem thee, do leave it. Lol. Ok try this. Check the batter with the bike off. It should read like 4v or something stupid like that. Than check it with it running. Should be 11-13v and if it's only pushing out something less than 11, then yea that means the stator or something along those lines is messed up. If that's the case, find the wires that ar comming out of the engine, and trace them. Check all connections, and see if u can find any fuses. I don't think it's the stator it's self, because the bike does run normally. If u started it, and it sputtered and backed fired and sounded like sh*t, than it might be stator.

i know exactly what ya need to do... get a better P.O.S. I:I hahah just kiddin. are your ignition wires good? if there is a break in them that would cause no lights and no starter. maybe theres a bad connectin

i know exactly what ya need to do... get a better P.O.S. I:I hahah just kiddin. are your ignition wires good? if there is a break in them that would cause no lights and no starter. maybe theres a bad connectin
must be a failure to read? hahah jk

ya if you hook it up to another battery or to a booster you can start it with the starter, and lights work. I do wish I could get a better POS, she bought it off her brother for 200 bucks, and I told her she got ripped the hell off, among this problem is, front wheel bearing going bad, rear axle bearings going bad, swinger bearing going bad, leaks a bit o oil, and it smokes like a frieght train, so a new top end will be in order some time down the line, and that is just what I have come across so far. Right now my first project is getting the electrical system in order so it will keep the battery charged when running and have electric start and lights.

That black bibi think I'd the cdi
its not the cdi itself, it could have somthing to do with it though, the cdi is below the fuel tank on the right side.

unplug it and see if it starts. if not, than yea lol. electricasl is kina funny. u just have to trace whats going on. check all connections, fuses, and and now i think of it, that might have somehting to do with changeing the AC current comming from the stator to DC. unplug it, and check the wires. with the bike running, set the meter to ac and see what u r getting. if nothing set to dc and see what volts are comming.

ya I have had the bike running without it now that I think of it. I looked at the parts list on cheapcycleparts and it just says that its a relay, and its beyond the rectifier and doesn't have anything coming to it.

The more I think about it, I'm almost to the point that the regulator I just bought is also bad. I have AC coming from the and making it to the regulator, and nothing coming out. Unless it is possible that the pickup in the stator is weak and not delivering enough power to the regulator, but then if that was the case I wouldn't think it would run either cuase best I can tell it only has a single pick up. now is when I wish I had more experience with electrical stuff, this thing is eating me alive cause I don't know how to fix it, lol

Haha same man. I can't stop working on my blaster till the job is done. Or it eats me alive.
Too. Hahah. I can't really tell more than I have. If I do, I will have to kill u.lol. No I haven't worked on anything with a battery for a long time. And what I knew then was nothing compared to now, but the problem is that I can't practive it cause I have nothing with a battery in it hahah. I don't thik it's the stator Eaither. Take the voltage reg off, and test the wires that are running to it. If they read 4v than there is something wrong with voltage reg. or something else.