Need some help with a 2005 Blaster

Blacklance

Oct 15, 2009
Hey guys and gals. I hope you're all doing well. I've got a 2005 Blaster with a fresh top end I'm trying to get running right. It starts, has 120 psi compression (according to my cheapo gauge) and it runs and rev's up fully. BUT, it definitely smokes more than it should be. It has the following mods:

Vito's 240 Big Bore Kit
K&N Filter with open Airbox
FMF Fatty Pipe and Powercore 2 silencer.
V-Force Delta 3 Reed cage.
Half inch reed spacer.
Converted to premix runs 32-1.

Followed the jetting instructions that came with Vito's. It currently has a 280 main jet. For the initial break-in I had a 320 main and it smoked a LOT when revving up. Dropped down to a 280 still smokes when revved up though not as bad. Smoke looks whiteish blue depending on how the sunlight is hitting it. I'm at 0-1500 feet elevation where it rides So-Cal desert. I have a few theories but wanted some more expert input.

1. Crankseals are bad. But the smoke doesn't smell horrible, mostly smells like oil/gas and like I said when the light hits it it looks more blueish/dirty white not snowwhite or anything.

2. I'm still too rich on the jetting....but...280 doesn't sound too rich to me given the mods. But I could be wrong.

3. The gas/oil WAS mixed last May. Will 5 month old gas and oil (the Premium Formula K12 stuff from Maxima.) cause it to smoke like this?

Well thanks for any input you guys with more experience with this than me have. Thanks everyone!

What does the smoke smell like? If it smells like a burning plastic its a crank seal. If it smells like your oil you might be using way too much oil. Try running some seafoam through the carb. could be you gotta little bit of garbage in there.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply! It didn't smell like burnt plastic to me I don't think. Lol I've had a stuffed nose pretty much my whole life from allergies so, I'm not too good at diagnosing smells but it smelled more like a normal 2-stroke to me only thicker I guess. I'll fire it up again in the morning and take another whiff of it. The Carb's completely clean (should have mentioned that in my initial post oops), took it apart and ran it through my sonic cleaner to make sure everything was nice and shiny. :)

Hey, thanks for the quick reply! It didn't smell like burnt plastic to me I don't think. Lol I've had a stuffed nose pretty much my whole life from allergies so, I'm not too good at diagnosing smells but it smelled more like a normal 2-stroke to me only thicker I guess. I'll fire it up again in the morning and take another whiff of it. The Carb's completely clean (should have mentioned that in my initial post oops), took it apart and ran it through my sonic cleaner to make sure everything was nice and shiny. :)

Hmmm this is tricky... Try mixing at 40:1 and get rid of the 5 month old gas. Is the oil your using say something about a power valve? I used Bel-Ray H1R and it smoked because its so much thicker of an oil. Sometimes the viscosity of of the oil changes when put in gas i mix 4.7 gallons of 110 octane race gas with 1 pint of Bel-Ray MC1

if the exhaust smoke is white its a bad crank seal but if theres alot of blue smoke its running rich. sounds like you are running rich and that you have bad crank seal. check what your needle jet is set at?

The needle position is one step richer than stock as per the Vito's Big Bore kit instructions. One of my buddy's with a 20,000$ Banshee he built himself thinks since the gas and oil was mixed in May the varnishing of the gas is causing the varnish to rise higher not mix with the oil and the oil is settling towards the bottom. Hence running rich on oil. I have tomorrow off so I'm going to drain the whole tank and do a fresh batch of pre-mix and see what happens. I'm hoping it's not a bad crankseal. Its only got 4 seasons on it and only about 8 trips a season. Mostly just cruising dunes. Only going all out on like...China Wall...Oldsmobile Hill etc. Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys! I'll get back to you after the fresh gas run tomorrow!

Well, after getting it out to Glamis and riding it around it's not smoking anymore. And what little I did see was DEFINITELY blue. So, I guess I just had to get the engine warmed up and put a load on it better than putting around in 2nd gear in my back yard. Quad still doesn't feel as strong as I remember it though. Not sure what it could be. Unless I'm just too used to riding my Banshee now. Which is what I road all last season. Gonna try and fine tune it some more and see what happens. Thanks for all the helpful postings though guys. You rock!