need some explanation

yamaha blaster

Jun 15, 2008
Michigan
So I know this is a blaster forum but I need some help. I am looking at getting a 05 crf 250x but, the guy says that idle circuit is gummed up. He says that its a little hard to start cold and when its going it wants to stall, but once you get on the gas and get moving it runs just like it was new and has a lot of pep. My question is does that sound like a plugged up carb or what do you all think? Any help PLEASE. :-/

Could be a dirty Carb Or a clogged jet, or improper jetted carb. I would say most likely a carb issue. Do a compression test on it and take it for a spin. Just thought of something else, I had a cold start issue with my Raptor250, found out there is a pre-heater on the carb that wasn't working, not sure if CRF has anything like that, cost me $23 bucks for the heater and harness, never had an issue since.

4 stroke carburetors don't have the same pilot circuit as 2 stroke carburetors. 2 strokes have a pilot jet which is immersed in fuel in the float bowl and then a "T" built into the side of the carb where one end dumps downstream of the slide (towards the engine) and the other ends in a vacuum adjustment needle, "air needle", "pilot needle", or simply "that screw thingy". The idea is to adjust the amount of vacuum in the "T" which will change how much fuel gets drawn through the pilot jet. It works, quick and dirty.

4 stroke carburetors have an opposite designed system. They have a pilot jet which is immersed in fuel in the float bowl and a "T" but the front (air filter side of the carb) is open to the incoming air drawing across the top of the "T" and then the downstream (engine) side has an adjustment screw in it to limit the fuel that can be drawn past it.

There is actually a very good reason for all this madness... 4 stroke engines are known for their torque 2 strokes are not. For that reason, 2 strokes spend a lot of time with the throttle pegged "to stay on the pipe" so low throttle angles don't require as accurate a fuel metering. The air needle style adjustment works fine.

4 stroke engines need to be able to accurately meter fuel even at low throttle angles because they're torquey and stay at low throttle angles more. The way their carburetors are designed allows for multiple fuel outlets just behind the butterfly/slide which will open to allow more fuel into the carburetor bore as the throttle is held at low throttle positions. Unfortunately, this design doesn't lend itself well to the simple "air needle" design pilot system.

In summation, it's MUCH more common for a 4 stroke pilot system to clog than a 2 stroke pilot system. Most of the time idle problems on a 2 stroke are attributed to an EXTREMELY dirty carb or an airleak. 4 stroke carbs are nearly always at fault on the pilot system.

X-2 on comp test. I think "Needs carb cleaned" is a sales ploy to hide other problems. Think about it, wouldn't it make more sense to clean carb so machine is running top notch for better sale? Isn't that hard or time comsuming.

carb cleaning
You can try removing the cover for the main jet. 17mm hex headed cover on the underside of the carb. This will allow you access to the jets. Does not sound like the main jet that's clogged, it's the pilot jet, the smaller one off to the side, not to be confused with the choke jet. The pilot jet controls your idle circuit, hence why your bike won't idle. What I do at when I get a bike that won't idle and it's the carbs I remove the drain screw, blow brake/contact cleaner in it, then blow compressed air. If that won't clean it out then you'll have to remove the carb and give it a proper cleaning. You don't know if it's just the pilot or something else as well in the pilot circuit, a passageway or something else. You're best bet is to just remove it and give it a good once over. It's pretty easy. Remove the subframe or pivot it down. Loosen the top shock bolt and lower the rear wheel down and pull the shock out of the way. Now you've got room to get the carb out

Okay thanks guys I just wanted to know what you all thought it was and not that the valves are f*^%ed up. To answer the question why won't he clean it, its because he's at college and can't make it home until late April and I want to ride NOW. Another question but this is a personal one, I used to go to school with the kid and I mean I know him in all we used to talk all the time. Anyways I'm thinking about just asking him if I could bring the bike to my house as I have more tools and a better garage to do it in. What would you all think if you were in his case and I asked if I could take it home and work on it?

I would actually probably just go to his house and snag the carb off it. He already knows I'm buying it if it runs good through all rpm ranges and all gears he wants a crotch rocket.

If I were getting out of a ride, I knew I had a sale on my hands, and had to do nothing but let the guy take the carburetor home to clean it out.

I'd be ok with it...

I would actually probably just bring the hole bike home because the gas needs to be drained BADLY and I don't want to make a mess in there garage. I just need to ask I just wanted to know what you all would think if you were that guy. If everything checks out on I sell my bike and hand him well his parents the money and mail him the title so he can sign it over to me. I'll just ask him tomorrow.

Ok he let me take the bike home yes.....So after about an hour of tinkering with it flushed the carb and put new gas in it and she spit and sputtered alive. So when it would finally stay running it would only stay running on the choke. We put some sea foam in it I went and put about 10+ miles on it and it still does. It runs perfect with the choke on, it is so snappy with it on. When you turn it off it likes to bog down a little bit and have a delay of power not bad but not like it should be. Also when you let off the gas with the choke off it backfires. We got out our listening tool(I don't know the correct name for it lol its like the thing the doctors listen to your heart with) anyways we listened to the valves and the top of the motor and there was no hitting or any weird noises. Does this still sound like plugged carb. I tore it apart today and it was goopy and dirty so I'm hoping that was it but I won't find out until later this week we have to order a part for the carb :/

Get a bucket of Chem Tool carb cleaner. Remove ALL plastic and rubber , jets from carb and soak it for an hour. Blow it out with air. Even tho sea foam is great stuff if a passage is plugged shut it does no good.