need info on clutch assembly

K

kevin

Have a 1998 blaster, engine will start but whether or not I pull the clutch cable as soon as you hit the shifter it's in gear. I took the side of the motor apart and I find the clutch basket is OK but I think the discs are in wrong.
I need info on what to look for and sequence I need to put the discs back in.
Yes I am new to working on the motor so please excuse any incorrect part names.

Maybe i am misunderstanding you, but a blaster will go in into gear whether you pull in the clutch or not. There is not a mechanism to prevent that from happening.

I think he means it starts to move even if the clutch is pulled in. Make sure that tensioner thing that goes on the jug is on the cable. It should be held on by the bolt that holds the jug on. It may not be this, but i had it happen to me and it did the same thing.

follow up

flyers, you are correct, please explain what you mean by the "jug", are you meaning where the cable meets the hand grip?

There is a clip, that mounts to the jug (top part of engine) and keeps the cable from moving. If its not bolted to the jug the clutch will not work right.

and past that I would check the adjustment on the lever to see if you can get any more clutch out of it, theres also an adjustment on the pressure plate that take like a 10mm and a philips if you already got the case off. if it seems like its grabbin but just not doin it, you probly needs to replace your clutch plates

also since you are there and you asked for sequence, as far as fiber plates there is none besides the fact that one is smaller and will be placed as the 2nd one in along with the rubber dount inside of it if you have it " I dont" any wayyou also start with a fiber for sure and I beleive end with one also. as far and the steel plates place the first one at 12 O'clock and as you stagger fiber,steel,fiber,steel each steal is placed at 60 degrees clockwise from the last which is around 2 teath on the basket but will not line up exact. and thing else just let us know.