Need ideas

bigmuscle87

Feb 10, 2012
Hey everyone I have read alot of the threads on here bout engine swaps. I have a 98 blaster, which has sit in my shop for 4 or 5 years with the whole top end took off. The piston is still in the lower end and have all the parts to put it back together. But I am 5'11'' and 240lbs I rode it when I was a little lighter and it was a fun ride but kind of out grew it fast. So my question is should I try and put everything back together and try to get it running. Which I really don't even want to mess with the blaster engine I would rather just get a new more powerful engine and do the swap. I know I am going to get told no 4-stroke on a blaster but I like the idea of a more powerful 4-stroke dirt bike motor or a small sportbike motor. Anyways I am tired of it just sitting over there how much could I get parting it out compared to fixing and selling it. Or would it be worth the time to put the motor I want in it and going from there. Any ideas, prices, good engine ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I would stay away from a streetbike motor swap, it just adds SO much weight.

doing a yzf motor swap would be pretty sick.

If you get an extended steering stem the blaster can be a lot more comfortable for somebody about your size.

If you don't like the stock horsepower , there's a lot of upgrades to easily get way more power.

Yeah, while the cylinder is off, send it to one of the builders on here and be amazed. They'll port it and shape the head and it'll be a huge difference! Then of course, an aftermarket pipe!

a yz450f would be a powerful swap. aint they like 55-60hp.

if you want to swap something close in, find an ATK700 or 620 and swap that motor in. they are rated over 75HP.

Yz250, wr250-500, ktm, whatever you can get cheep if you don't think a modded Blaster would be enough powwa. I'd do a wr/yz before I'd do a BB, but that's just me.

Thanks guys your post really got me thinking bout some ideas I might consider doing. Getting the motor built by someone would be a idea just think I would sink to much money into it. Do yall think the motor is still good with the top end being off that long. I have covered the piston and everything with a tee shirt to try and keep dirt out. I would love to put a yz250f or 450 in it but I figure it would be hard or expensive to find just a motor, unless I could find a wrecked bike to pull the motor off. Anyone know a good place or site besides ebay and craiglist to look for wrecked bikes or complete motors. I live in Northeast Arkansas if anyone might know somewhere around here.

OK, I stuck a 50 hp motor into a Blaster, so I have a realistic idea of what it takes and what you get:

1) It is MUCH harder to swap a motor in than you think.
2) MOST (like 75%) of these swaps never get finished. Too hard, too costly, too many problems.
3) Most of of the swaps that are finished are no better than something you could have bought (cheaper!)
4) Most of of the swaps that are finished are never completely practical or useful.
5) Most of of the swaps that are finished are a continual project, always fiddling, never working right.
6) A 25 hp Blaster with a good rider will spank the pants off a 50 hp Blaster with a novice.
7) It is hard to put more than 30 hp to the ground on a 300 lbs quad.
8) 25-35 hp in a 300 lbs quad is a pretty thrilling ride.
9) It is very easy and cheap to get 25-35+ hp out of a stock Blaster motor.
10) The Blaster motor is a tough, reliable motor if it is looked after.
11) The Blaster gearbox has a great set of gears (and has other options if you want).
12) The Blaster chassis is a rugged lightweight unit that can be upgraded as your skills demand.

So you can see I am strongly in favour of keeping the Blaster motor in the Blaster.
What are you gaining with a YZF or Banshee motor in a Blaster? 10 lbs traded for a poorer suspension?
If you want a YZF or Banshee, buy a YZF or Banshee! It is cheaper than sticking the motor in a Blaster.

Fix her up. It will cost you less than any 4 stroke.
Pay attention here or have a pro do your head and cylinder and that little 200 will haul your 250 lbs
around with no problem. I know this for a fact because I ride my son's lightly modded Blaster too.
Good luck!