need help

yamaha blaster

Jun 15, 2008
Michigan
So I went and look at the bike today 05 crf250x nice bike. But I couldn't get it to start it hasn't been started since late summer when the kid went to college so I put the piston just below TDC and pushed it over with my hand and at the top of the stroke there was like a clinking noise. My guess is valves are out of adjustment what do you all think?

if the piston is hitting valves, its most likely bent them. which means new valves, potentially new seats, and a head rebuild

4 poker parts arent cheap either

if the piston is hitting valves, its most likely bent them. which means new valves, potentially new seats, and a head rebuild

4 poker parts arent cheap either

true but most of the time they seem to be ok unless its been like that for some time ! (only passing on what i read on central ) but you should inspect and atleast do clearences

theres a thread on central and a guys valves were hitting very very small ammount (he heard ticking noises) and they said as long as you aint been driving it for long they shouldnt be to bad lol

Ok well when the kid gets home from college he's going to clean the carb and if that makes it run like it should I will know the valves aren't screwed up and I'll buy it and adjust them before I go out and ride it. He said the last time he rode it, it ran like it usually does and that was great so I mean I'm guessing the reason it won't start is a gummed up carb it sat for 6+ monthes and the gas wasn't drained.

Last edited:
I just did some researching and found that clink was actually meant to be there, its the demcompresion and the exhaust valves closing. Thank god to hear that, I'm still going to hear it run before I make the deal but I've learned what that clink is.