NEED help - Rear axel removal....

lassek

Feb 23, 2009
Sweden, Denmark is my native
Hi all.

Im in the middle of a complete body rebuild. But im am very frustrated about the rear swingarm/axle..

The thing is i cant seem to get the axle off from the swingarm.

Let me explain:

I have removed the rear swingarm as an complete unit.

Then i removed the chain and the parts that go to with that.

I have removed the rear brake assembly

I then wanted to remove the rear axle (´where to two rear wheels connect)

I used a "rear axle" wrench set for the two big 50mm bolts.. I have successfully lossend the two bolt and they are now free dangling on the axle.. BUT the axel dont seem to come loose? Is there anything i miss? Whats the correct procedure to remove the axle?

Please help!

thanks

heres what i did. while my swingarm was still attached i took the nuts off, the rear sprocket off, and the left wheel. then with the hub still attached and the hub nut tightened i used a deep socket ( the size of the nut) and put a pair of visegrips on it so i dont hit my fingers. then a good sized hammer. just try tapping it at first and if it doesnt go hit it slightly harder until it comes out. be very careful not to hit on it without the nut tightened cause you can strip out the threads on the end of your axle.

heres what i did. while my swingarm was still attached i took the nuts off, the rear sprocket off, and the left wheel. then with the hub still attached and the hub nut tightened i used a deep socket ( the size of the nut) and put a pair of visegrips on it so i dont hit my fingers. then a good sized hammer. just try tapping it at first and if it doesnt go hit it slightly harder until it comes out. be very careful not to hit on it without the nut tightened cause you can strip out the threads on the end of your axle.

Ok great!!! I can read from all your posts what to do!!! I gonna use brute force! haha.. ;-)

But just to be 110% sure! .. WHAT threads is it i could damage? The ones that hold the 2 x 50mm bolts???

And do i need to remove anything else than rear sprocket, brake and 2x50mm bolt to hammer the axle out? there is not anything else "holding" it ? or on the opposite side on the swingarm than the bolts?

Thanks guys..

i mean the threads right on the end of the axle , when you remove your hub you will see them they have a castle nut and a cotter pin

i just took mine out and now im having problems getting it apart, i mean the spacer tube is on there pretty good. so are the bolts that hold the brake rotor on. All i wanted to do is replace the bearings, and now this.. argh.

you dont need to undo the bolts from the brake rotor to get it off just take the clips off bothe ends of the rubber and it will slide right off

just watch them threads on the left hand side, also dont hit the end of the axle hard cos you'll mushroom the end and itll be a nitemare to get the nut back on, learnt from experiance :p

just watch them threads on the left hand side, also dont hit the end of the axle hard cos you'll mushroom the end and itll be a nitemare to get the nut back on, learnt from experiance :p

thats what the block of wood is forI:I