need help making cylinder and head pretty

Mborso1029

Oct 2, 2009
SouthEast MI
alright well i just purchased a big bore cylinder off ebay= well actaully its a stock cylinder thats been sleeved, and its pretty nasty, its got all the brown burnt in mud all over it, and its not worthy to go on my blaster untill its been repainted....i was wondering how you guys go about removing the old paint? has anyone had any luck with the soda blasting on it? they say thats the best thing for the engine parts, because its not like sand, it acutally just disolves with watever and wont get stuck anywhere.
2nd im just thinkn of using the high temp black paint with polishing up the edges of the cooling fins, ive seen this on someother blasters and it looks real good. ive seen some that have actually polished the entire head and cylinder....whats the easiest way to do that? sandblasting with differnt grits i would emagine?

dqngy0.jpg

if you want a pretty close to factory finish on thta thing it's real easy.. sand blast with black beauty or equivilent.. it leaves it with a rough surface then shoot it with high temp black engine paint.. that how we've been doing banshee jugs, engine cases etc... with a cylidner there is no need to worry about sand getting in the port and such.. blow it out with a blow gun on teh compressor and then take it for a bath in either a solvent tank or even soap and warm water will work.. after it's dry put a lite oil on the cylinder walls and call it good.. then paint..

make sure to mask off the inside of the cylinder before you blast.. espeically if your not planing on boring it.. youir best best is to coat the inside of the cylinder walls with tape.. because if you shoot into the intake box or the transfer tunnels it'll travel through.. also mask off the gasket surfaces..