Need help!!! 1988 Blaster Fresh rebuild. will not start.

Blaster fool8

Jan 30, 2012
St.louis
Yestorday i was able to get it running. But today when i was about to start doing the heat cycles it wouldnt start for me. When i kick the kickstarter sometimes it will kick the kick starter back up. It sounds like it wants to start but then dies. Sometimes when it kicks back it will have some would call it smoke but i guess smoke coming out. I check the carb. Everything was clean. I checked spark its geting spark. I went looking to see if the sparkplug smelled like gas it didnt. So i tried just puting a little bit of carb cleaner in the cylinder to tell me if its the carb. It starts to start but dies. I moved the needle settling to the middle because it was at the very top. it has 120 psi conpression i tested yestorday. Could this kick back be a backfire or a kickstarter problem. Or could it be timming even tho ive never touch the timming? Or is it a reed or air problem. This project is sopposed to be a Christmas gift to my younger brother. And ive been figting to get it done before christmas its a surpise. Would like some fresh minds thinking on this problem

So it sounds lean.
Disconnect the fuel line from the carb. Flow well? Clean? No water?
Check the float level, ideally with clear line from a nipple from the drain.
Is the enrichment valve clean and functioning?
Pull the air boot off and choke by hand (get a friend to help). Start now?
If you are running heavy premix you might have to richen jets.

Steve

I rebuild it because it had no compression aswell as it is missing the side one side of the rings. Bored and honed 68mm with a wesico piston and a spare +3mm stroker that had already rebuild a new bottom end. No water. I pretty sure it doesnt have a valve like what your talking about.

did you use a spacer plate under the cylinder as required when using a +3mm crank ?

check.....
woodruff key on flywheel
reeds
carb cleaned properly ?
float level
airscrew set @ 1.5 turns out to start ?

Yes i brought the vitos +3mm stuffer stroker gasket and spacer. It could be the reeds. Ive been swapping parts off mine. I have new reeds so ill put them in. When i pull the choke it continues to go back to its normal state. Ill try reseting the air screw. I put a new carb rebuild kit i have a spare. What about the outside idle screw that you drill into the carb. Its a aftermarket part. I check the float. I put the needle in the middle. I can never seem to take out the center where the needle goes in. Previos when i got it. It would start with one kick. Ill double check the flywheel. It has this aftermarket boost spark thing that ive never heard of or seen. The previous owner said it came stock for the yr 1988. But i dont believe it at all.

What about the outside idle screw that you drill into the carb. Its a aftermarket part.

do you have that, or asking about it ?
if the tors brick on top of the carb has been replaced with a regular carb cap, you will need an aftermarket idle screw drill/tapped in, sometimes that boss needs filed down further than just flat to allow the idle screw to go in far enough to hold the slide open slightly, look into the backside of the carb to see if turning the idle screw is actually lifting the slide ?
usually an 1/8" gap is sufficient

It has this aftermarket boost spark thing that ive never heard of or seen. The previous owner said it came stock for the yr 1988.

there was never a boost anything on any stock blaster, I'd try bypassing that to eliminate it from the list of possibles

Tors eliminated. It has a idle screw but im not sure what you mean when u say boss. Im going to just leave the booster thing on for now it ran with it connected so i want to try to keep the variables to the minimum. have u ever heard of the kick starter kicking back at you. or is that a backfire

It looks like a miniture baby bottle. Im guess it probably has more primary and secondary coils to boost spark. Couldnt it be useful in lighting. Or would it not because of wave form of a coil is on and off from a voltage spike. Am i right? I probably just answered my question...lol

Last semester of automotive:)

Attachments

• tmp_17288-Ignition-Monitor-2.jpg.cf37964776.jpg
    tmp_17288-Ignition-Monitor-2.jpg.cf37964776.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 130
It was a sheered key on the flywheel side. I manage to take one off mine and manage to sheer it again. Idk if im doing it wrong. Ill order three keys. Idk if im calling the part the right name