n00b here from MI

Sully

May 17, 2009
Westland, MI
Hey guys. (and gals) My name is Nick, 29 and I'm from Westland, MI. I just got a 88 Blaster off craigslist for basically free. I traded a Bose Acoustimass surround system that I bought 4 years ago for $125.

It runs with a few mods but it has tons of issues.

Mods are:
Maxxis Razr Tires
Boysen Reeds
FMF pipe
.040 over

Issues:
I think the front shocks are bad (not worried about it)
Exhaust is broke before the silencer (FIXED)
Rear lift bar broke (FIXED)
needs a rear sprocket (hopefully I can find one cheap)
front and rear brakes are almost non existant (I plan on tearing them apart and cleaning em up)
pulls hard on the bottom end but has very little up top. (gona try to clean the carb then go from there)
Kickstart system is messed up (I opened it up and found the issues below)
case is cracked where the kickshaft goes into the case.
case is cracked at the idler gear. The case doesnt leak through the cracks though
Seats cracked. (taped it up lol)
HI beam doesn't work (I'm over it
and finally........ It's ugly

So the laundry list is long. I already spent $60 on the stuff to fix the kick start but I'll only use it if I have to. Like if im in loose stuff and can't push start it. I don't want to crack the case more.

I'll post pics up later.

Last edited:
You got a kick ass deal thats for sure. Im just a stone throw away in dearborn.

Get some pictures up of the ride, even if its ugly it still has character :)

You got a kick ass deal thats for sure. Im just a stone throw away in dearborn.

Get some pictures up of the ride, even if its ugly it still has character :)
Sorry.. I forgot to get pix last night. Too busy trying to fix stuff.

Have you heard about the MotoX course in dearborn at some industrial area? I found some details on MIdirtriders.com Still haven't gotten ahold of the guy yet.

welcome to the forum, not a bad deal at all, even if it does have issues, stick around and it'll be runnin like a champ in no time
Thanks.. I'm sure I will too.. lots of good info here. The hard part is trying to find a place to start.

I went through the front brakes and got them working. But the second time I took it for a spin, the upper cable broke

So...... I bought all new brake cables, new sprockets, chain and A-Arm bushings. $125 or so for all of it plus shipping. Didn't seem too bad.

I also welded up the broken exhaust pipe and rear lift bar thing yesterday as well.

PICS on page 2

pics of my POS
IMAG0016.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

I can think of a few things... but yes.... its excellent. I may be able to go down to Petersburg/ Summerville this weekend yet!

welcome to the forum bro and look at it this way, when you get done you'll be proud of the blasty and you'll know every inch of it. so in a nut shell not a bad thing.