my ride Today Dt200 parts Blaster

Oct 8, 2011
nova scotia
got my latest project almost complete decided to take it out today completed last heat cycles and break-in. bike was built from 100% parts, and im happy with how it came out. we set this motor up for peak rph hp its a bit low on the torque. this engine is completely stock except a fmf system (silencer is gutted) no porting reeds nothen aswell as its running a 250 main on stock carb. the liquid motor runs a lot lower main jet then air cooled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice. So what all do you need to get the DT cylinder to work on the blaster bottom end?

The DT200 cylinder is a direct bolt onto the blaster bottom end except that the DT200 bottom end had a few notable differences..... first off, the obviously never finished blaster "water pump" in the clutch cover is finished. Also the DT200 had a cable driven tachometer that came out of the bottom end.

IF you could source a DT200 top end, you could bolt it onto a blaster bottom end..... but you would need a few things. First off, a DT200 YPVS system is electronic versus flyball or friction disc operated. To remedy this, the DT200 came with a full DC conversion built in. This meant that the CDI controlled YPVS was powered by a small battery. IF you converted your blaster to a DC conversion system you would need a small 12VDC water pump because sourcing the DT125 clutch cover or pressing the blaster clutch basket into the DT200 back gear is a PITA....

Obviously, for a liquid cooled top end you'll also need a radiator. The "winged" radiator setup (ala, ATC250R) works but is unsightly IMO. The better option is a radiator that sits just behind the steering stem across the frame. Unfortunately, that requires something other than a blaster pipe be built and run. The pipe would need to double back low and come up beside the cylinder (think YZ250 pipe).

The DT200 cylinder is a direct bolt onto the blaster bottom end except that the DT200 bottom end had a few notable differences..... first off, the obviously never finished blaster "water pump" in the clutch cover is finished. Also the DT200 had a cable driven tachometer that came out of the bottom end.

IF you could source a DT200 top end, you could bolt it onto a blaster bottom end..... but you would need a few things. First off, a DT200 YPVS system is electronic versus flyball or friction disc operated. To remedy this, the DT200 came with a full DC conversion built in. This meant that the CDI controlled YPVS was powered by a small battery. IF you converted your blaster to a DC conversion system you would need a small 12VDC water pump because sourcing the DT125 clutch cover or pressing the blaster clutch basket into the DT200 back gear is a PITA....

Obviously, for a liquid cooled top end you'll also need a radiator. The "winged" radiator setup (ala, ATC250R) works but is unsightly IMO. The better option is a radiator that sits just behind the steering stem across the frame. Unfortunately, that requires something other than a blaster pipe be built and run. The pipe would need to double back low and come up beside the cylinder (think YZ250 pipe).

Thanks for taking the time to write that up, I thought there was more to it than just putting in a water pump and radiator. Sounds like too much of a headache unless you can find the whole motor and electronics together.

Thanks for taking the time to write that up, I thought there was more to it than just putting in a water pump and radiator. Sounds like too much of a headache unless you can find the whole motor and electronics together.

I don't want to make it sound like it's not an awesome upgrade..... a liquid cooled 34hp blaster (DT200's were rated at 34 hp off the showroom floor) would be AWESOME but it comes with a price. Either you need a bunch of pricy factory parts, a complete donor DT200, or access to a motorcycle junkyard and tenacity. It's not "simple" for certain!

I don't want to make it sound like it's not an awesome upgrade..... a liquid cooled 34hp blaster (DT200's were rated at 34 hp off the showroom floor) would be AWESOME but it comes with a price. Either you need a bunch of pricy factory parts, a complete donor DT200, or access to a motorcycle junkyard and tenacity. It's not "simple" for certain!

Oh I do believe it would be awesome, I have wanted to do it since I first saw the write up on it. I have tried to find a complete motor, but they are hard to come by. Maybe someday I will get lucky and find a complete motor in the states.

Oh I do believe it would be awesome, I have wanted to do it since I first saw the write up on it. I have tried to find a complete motor, but they are hard to come by. Maybe someday I will get lucky and find a complete motor in the states.

they are out is (in canada) i bought the dt motor to do this swap for 140 bucks that might make some of you sick. as for the swap civicdude is completly right about it. on this blaster we dident convert the electronics because when i bought the motor they wernt in the deal. so theres no moving powervalve i set it to wide open. the rad on this blaster is the one off the dt200 i would recomend using more cooling tho these little ones arnt big enough. like civicdude mentioned the best to use would be a majove one but it cant be used with a blaster pipe. the dt topend builts right up and the side cover aswell

One porblem i havent found out yet. my blaster has a 84 dt200 cyl/pump and from research iv read that the dt main gears drives are different sizes meaning the main that runs the waterpump would be diff then the blaster main size. ours was exact same main gear sizes as a blaster so the pump matched perfect with our bottom end. maybe this was only for later years i dono

Very nice. So what all do you need to get the DT cylinder to work on the blaster bottom end?

Is it possible to throw the dt top end on the blaster bottom end? Would it increase hp?

all you need to get a dt topend working on a blaster bottom end is a dt water pump or cover, a dt cylinder (blaster piston is exact), the connector for between them, some rad hoses and a rad. like i said before this motor is completely stock and its makin a good 30+ hp. sitting down on the bike with a quick snap of the clutch 3rd 4th or 5th and she'll pop the front tires up no problem. thats unhurd of with a blaster

Where abouts are you in Nova Scotia? you say you used a top end from a 84 dt200 they only had like 17hp the 89-96 had 33-34 hp, I have 3 1990 dt200r's and they would not bolt on cause my carb bolts to the block not the cylinder.