My rebuild thread

justinehr18

So I brought my Blaster home today and started the tear down. A few weeks after it blew up I went to storage and there was a puddle of oil underneath it. Well today, I found out it wasn't two stroke oil. I filled it when I was riding right before it blew up so I couldn't tell if the bottle was full or empty, and I pulled the oil line off and it was still full. So I'm thinking it was the gear lube? I pulled the head off, and the piston looks melted. It didn't shred to pieces, but there is lots of play in it so thinking the whole thing is going to have to get rebuilt. I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow night. Not too exciting news for me, going to be a costly fix I'd say if I have to rebuild both the top and the bottom now.

Before you go any further you need to find where the oil was comeing from. first is clean it real good. Which you should have done before you ever laid a wrench to it. Hopefully you haven't pulled engine yet. It could be a bad seal or drain bolt gasket. Why do you think the bottom end needs rebuilt??

Did you leakdown test it to determin WHY you melted a piston ???????

It was already fairly clean before I started. I didn't do any test before, but there's a plug by the kick start, I assume that's where the gear lube goes? I'm assuming that's what was on the ground, what else could it be? We took it apart, and it seems there is a lot of play when I move the piston around, but it obviously doesn't go up and down.

Never updated this thread, but I tore the engine out and took it to the Yamaha dealer, they needed to completley rebuild it, anything that could have gone wrong, did. They said the people that I bought it from were running real crappy oil and it had no lubrication. Runs good now!

20130427_195138_zps1689a234.jpg

Never updated this thread, but I tore the engine out and took it to the Yamaha dealer, they needed to completley rebuild it, anything that could have gone wrong, did. They said the people that I bought it from were running real crappy oil and it had no lubrication. Runs good now!

20130427_195138_zps1689a234.jpg
[/QUOTE

Lol dude i know that feeling... i have the same situation going for me right now. the guy i got my blaster from talked all good about it when i went and bought it, then after riding it a few times we've noticed how sh*tty the previous owner treated it. he was running improper jetting, the carb was in need of a good cleaning, the k&N was messed up during installation and was terribly dirty, and he must have thought his blaster was a yfz because the swingarm is shot... probly because of jumping it and taking a stock blaster to the track lol. now my piston is blown to shreds sitting in the garage as wellI:I